The Student Room Group

Solve This

In the combustion of methane:

CH4 + 2O2 CO2 + 2H2O

What is the maximum mass of water that could be produced when reacting 48g of methane with 48g of oxygen?
Reply 1
Work out stoichiomertry
(edited 3 years ago)
Work out which one is the limiting reactant and the number of moles of this reactant. Use the molar ratio shown in the equation to find the moles of water produced. Mass= moles x 18
Original post by Sophhhowa
Work out which one is the limiting reactant and the number of moles of this reactant. Use the molar ratio shown in the equation to find the moles of water produced. Mass= moles x 18

which one is limiting since they have equal masses
Original post by JellyInMyBelly
which one is limiting since they have equal masses

Limiting reagent does not depend on mass. It depends on the relative number of moles present and the stoichiometry of the equation.

Original post by charco
Limiting reagent does not depend on mass. It depends on the relative number of moles present and the stoichiometry of the equation.

so for the question I posted how would you work out the limiting reagent ... the video isn't very helpful unless I am missing something
Original post by JellyInMyBelly
so for the question I posted how would you work out the limiting reagent ... the video isn't very helpful unless I am missing something

Calculate the MOLES of each reagent.

Then see from the stoichiometry of the reaction how many moles of one reagent should react with another.

The reagent that gets used up first is the limiting reagent and this is used to find out how many moles, and hence how much mass, of the products are formed.

Quick Reply

Latest