Spam242
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm a first year student at college and take A-Level maths, business and chemistry. In business and maths I am getting B's consistently with no revision, and could get A's with revision. However in chemistry in all of my assessments, they have ranged from U's to C's, and this is with some revision. With maximum revision, I could potentialy get a B, however I do not enjoy the content and dislike my teacher.
After college I'm looking to get an apprenticeship based around maths/business (vague I know) so was thinking it may be appropriate to drop out of chemsitry and pick up A-level accounting at the start of next year, resulting in me staying at college for an additional year. My concerns are:
- I do not want to stay for an additional year
- If I were to continue doing chemistry, the stress may become overwhelming as I continue to put in lots of effort and not be satisfied with my grade at the end of the course
- As I am looking for an apprenticeship in a maths/business related area, A-Level chemistry may not be much use to me.

I also have the option of taking my AS exam for chemistry next year, however I'm afraid it will be too hard to continue revising chemistry for the as-exam while also revising for a-level exams for business and maths. I'm really torn between what I should do, so I appreciate any advice anyone could give.
Manip01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I say restart the year! Listen, I know you don't want to but in the long run when your older and you're in your 30's you wouldn't want to regret the 1 year that you didn't do at college. Restarting the year is not bad, and you can pick subjects you enjoy and happily drop Chemistry and not have to put up with it. Don't even do Chemistry as an AS Level, because if you dislike you won't want to revise for your exams and keep up with the workload for A2 Maths and Business.

I hope I've helped!

(Original post by Spam242)
I'm a first year student at college and take A-Level maths, business and chemistry. In business and maths I am getting B's consistently with no revision, and could get A's with revision. However in chemistry in all of my assessments, they have ranged from U's to C's, and this is with some revision. With maximum revision, I could potentialy get a B, however I do not enjoy the content and dislike my teacher.
After college I'm looking to get an apprenticeship based around maths/business (vague I know) so was thinking it may be appropriate to drop out of chemsitry and pick up A-level accounting at the start of next year, resulting in me staying at college for an additional year. My concerns are:
- I do not want to stay for an additional year
- If I were to continue doing chemistry, the stress may become overwhelming as I continue to put in lots of effort and not be satisfied with my grade at the end of the course
- As I am looking for an apprenticeship in a maths/business related area, A-Level chemistry may not be much use to me.

I also have the option of taking my AS exam for chemistry next year, however I'm afraid it will be too hard to continue revising chemistry for the as-exam while also revising for a-level exams for business and maths. I'm really torn between what I should do, so I appreciate any advice anyone could give.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads