The Student Room Group

I’ve been suspected for academic malpractice, what would be the outcomes?

So due to this I wanted to know what would be the outcomes if I apologise for my mistake and if I don’t...? It’s a First Minor
If you admit that you've committed academic misconduct, or if you it’s found that misconduct occurred (either at the preliminary stage or after a panel hearing), there are a number of penalties that may be imposed on you. Which penalty is given will depend on how serious the incident is, and whether you have done it before. These are the most common ones:

Reduced mark: this can be given for minor first time offences by not marking the sections affected (e.g. not marking plagiarised sections of an essay).
Mark of zero: The most common penalty. This means that the work affected by your misconduct will be given a mark of zero, which means you will fail the work.
Referral to the University Disciplinary Panel: If the Academic Misconduct Panel think your academic misconduct is very serious, they will refer the matter to the University Disciplinary Panel. That Panel has the power to impose stronger penalties including expulsion.
Original post by kms33
So due to this I wanted to know what would be the outcomes if I apologise for my mistake and if I don’t...? It’s a First Minor

Depends on context and what your strategy is.

Dont admit and found not guilty= nothing.
Dont admit and found guilty = straight warning .
Admit = warning

Some units are more lenient than others.
Also theres a lot of context missing.

As above depends on context but your submitted piece either severely or totally penalised.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kms33

Apologies don't change the academic theft. It depends massively on your past academic history and scale of the plagiarism concerned. Loss of marks, marking restricted to 'unplagiarised' parts or a capped pass , eg P(40) are common outcomes.

Quick Reply

Latest