U.S High School Student 2020-21 A100 (MBBS/MbChb) Admission

Watch
U.S.MedApplicant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am a U.S. citizen willing to apply for UK medical schools 2021 entry as an international applicant. I graduated with an Honor Roll with Advanced High School Diploma. I have a G.P.A of 4.17/5.0, my 2019 SAT score is 1460/1600, and my SAT II Subject score in Math II is 750/800. Due to pandemic crisis, the remaining two SAT II subject tests (Biology and Chemistry) are postponed by College Board but I have high academic standing for science classes (A.P. Chemistry- A; A.P. Physics- A; College Level Biology- Pass [pass/fail due to corona crisis]). I have four years of hospital experience in Emergency, Surgery, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, and Research at Calcium Signaling Lab. I am currently serving in Medical Reserve Corps during pandemic crisis. I am taking the UCAT in 2020 when registration opens on 1st July 2020.

As per my research, I made a list of potential schools for international: UC LAN, Uni of Buckingham, Aston, Uni of Bristol, Edge Hill, Kent & Medway, Lincoln, Uni of Glasgow, Uni of Edinburgh, and Uni of Aberdeen.

Can anyone provide advice to select U.K. Medical Colleges that match my credentials. Which colleges have more overseas intake and lenience towards remaining SAT II Subject Tests that cannot be taken due to COVID-19.

Appreciate any help given for my college selection!
vk0109
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by U.S.MedApplicant)
I am a U.S. citizen willing to apply for UK medical schools 2021 entry as an international applicant. I graduated with an Honor Roll with Advanced High School Diploma. I have a G.P.A of 4.17/5.0, my 2019 SAT score is 1460/1600, and my SAT II Subject score in Math II is 750/800. Due to pandemic crisis, the remaining two SAT II subject tests (Biology and Chemistry) are postponed by College Board but I have high academic standing for science classes (A.P. Chemistry- A; A.P. Physics- A; College Level Biology- Pass [pass/fail due to corona crisis]). I have four years of hospital experience in Emergency, Surgery, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, and Research at Calcium Signaling Lab. I am currently serving in Medical Reserve Corps during pandemic crisis. I am taking the UCAT in 2020 when registration opens on 1st July 2020.

As per my research, I made a list of potential schools for international: UC LAN, Uni of Buckingham, Aston, Uni of Bristol, Edge Hill, Kent & Medway, Lincoln, Uni of Glasgow, Uni of Edinburgh, and Uni of Aberdeen.

Can anyone provide advice to select U.K. Medical Colleges that match my credentials. Which colleges have more overseas intake and lenience towards remaining SAT II Subject Tests that cannot be taken due to COVID-19.

Hey there! Now i'm not from US, but I am an international student (Indian) as well living in UK, studying Biomedicine. I'm gonna take the UCAT as well this year hoping to apply for medicine entry 2021
I have actually decided to go for King's, Bristol, Warwick, UCLan, and maybe St. George's, but have to narrow it down to 4 to make the UCAS application. If you want to know if universities would accept the different credentials then I think the best thing would be to try emailing the university itself to get a clear option. This is what I have been doing the past few days lol. So yeah I think to get it checked with the university itself would be the best option.
Other than this, to get an overview about the UK universities and their entry requirements, the link below would be very useful I think, it helped me a lot to make a decision about selecting unis.
file:///C:/Users/asus/Desktop/Med%20school%20and%20UCAT/entry%20requirements%20for%20all %20medicine%20programmes%20.pdf
(just copy and paste it and you should be able to get the file)

I hope that was of some help to you and good luck with your application!!
Vini
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by vk0109)
Hey there! Now i'm not from US, but I am an international student (Indian) as well living in UK, studying Biomedicine. I'm gonna take the UCAT as well this year hoping to apply for medicine entry 2021
I have actually decided to go for King's, Bristol, Warwick, UCLan, and maybe St. George's, but have to narrow it down to 4 to make the UCAS application. If you want to know if universities would accept the different credentials then I think the best thing would be to try emailing the university itself to get a clear option. This is what I have been doing the past few days lol. So yeah I think to get it checked with the university itself would be the best option.
Other than this, to get an overview about the UK universities and their entry requirements, the link below would be very useful I think, it helped me a lot to make a decision about selecting unis.
file:///C:/Users/asus/Desktop/Med%20school%20and%20UCAT/entry%20requirements%20for%20all %20medicine%20programmes%20.pdf
(just copy and paste it and you should be able to get the file)

I hope that was of some help to you and good luck with your application!!
Vini
The link you've included is to a directory on your personal computer; nobody else can access that except you, unless they are using your physical computer in person.

Only having two APs will, I think, quite possibly limit you considerably, if not potentially leave you out of the running altogether. I believe most UK unis expect US students to be taking at least 3 APs, and I imagine medical schools would expect you to get a 5 in the exam for those you have taken. I don't believe SAT IIs are usually considered, or are held to be that important anyway, by UK universities, compared to AP test performance.

You would also need to meet the subject requirements, namely A-level or equivalent chemistry or biology and another science (sometimes specified to be the second of those two previously mentioned). While usually AP subjects are considered equivalent to A-levels, it would be best to check with medical schools directly.
vk0109
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The link you've included is to a directory on your personal computer; nobody else can access that except you, unless they are using your physical computer in person.
Ah i thought that would come up! My bad sorry about that. I tried uploading the file but something was wrong and it wouldn't get uploaded and so i had to send this.
Apologies for that
Edge Hill University Outreach
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hi,

I would recommend getting in contact with the Medical Schools at each of the universities you have mentioned, as they will be able to let you know whether your grades and experience would meet the entry requirements for their specific courses. You could also check university websites intially, as they often list alternative qualifications which they accept, however for quite specific questions it may be best to get in touch with the Medical Schools directly.

If you would like to find out more about the entry requirements specifically for the course at Edge Hill and whether you meet these, please feel free to email [email protected] k, who will be able to help further with this.

I hope that helps, good luck with your future studies!
Becky
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hello U.S.MedApplicant,

First of all congratulations on your fantastic results so far! I am a current third year student rep from the University of Lincoln. Here in Lincoln, we have a very exciting opportunity to study medicine in partnership with the University of Nottingham. The first graduates from the course will be graduating this September and we hope to have a brand new medical school building in 2021. This will mean that there will be brand new industry standard facilities available once it has been opened. I love living in Lincoln and we have a good number of international students here, Lincoln is a great place to study with a lot of history in the city. You can find out more about the medicine courses and chat to some students here. If you have any more questions please email [email protected].

I hope this helps, good luck in choosing where to study.

Jack
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed