StarGirlie12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So, I mentioned to my mother something about wanting to apply for a uni over extra but being worried that I might be rejected and then have no back up.

Next day turns out my mum rang them and got the email of one of the heads of department and conversed with them like twice without telling me. I know she was trying to help but now I feel a bit silly as if I end up going to this uni they're going to think I can't even speak for myself. The lecturer said they'd call my mum again to chat with me about the course. What do I do???? It scares me a bit because ngl when I was high school they used to call my mum all the time about my mental health. My mums very controlling though I am grateful she tried to help. It's just not sitting right with me, I don't want her to be THIS involved.
Last edited by StarGirlie12; 4 months ago
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Communication is key.
Tell her how that makes you feel, and how since you are going to uni you really would like to do it by yourself and be independent. Your parents should understand
StarGirlie12
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Communication is key.
Tell her how that makes you feel, and how since you are going to uni you really would like to do it by yourself and be independent. Your parents should understand
I did tell her and she was a bit frosty with me, but now I am just kind of awkward about this call that's gonna happen as they have her number not mine. I honestly would never have agreed to a phone call before emailing someone first as I feel quite anxious on calls. I guess I am just embarrassed this lecturer is coming to me from my mother and not my own initiative.
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you can’t take back her involvement and they’re going to call anyway, then prepare to make a positive and assertive impression when they do. Don’t give them any impression of this ‘baby’ You have in mind!

Prepare what points you want to raise, introduce yourself in a friendly and outgoing way on the phone and don’t mention your mother or give the phone back for her to have the last word, host the call and end it on a nice note!

Good luck!
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by StarGirlie12)
I did tell her and she was a bit frosty with me, but now I am just kind of awkward about this call that's gonna happen as they have her number not mine. I honestly would never have agreed to a phone call before emailing someone first as I feel quite anxious on calls. I guess I am just embarrassed this lecturer is coming to me from my mother and not my own initiative.
Did she say she would stop?
I suggest you really sit down and talk with her about it. Dont be snappy, just explain how it makes you feel.
Dont feel embarrassed about it though. I bet other parents have done much worse to that lecturer. You should be fine.
Tayaa8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So, I mentioned to my mother something about wanting to apply for a uni over extra but being worried that I might be rejected and then have no back up.

Next day turns out my mum rang them and got the email of one of the heads of department and conversed with them like twice without telling me. I know she was trying to help but now I feel a bit silly as if I end up going to this uni they're going to think I can't even speak for myself. The lecturer said they'd call my mum again to chat with me about the course. What do I do???? It scares me a bit because ngl when I was high school they used to call my mum all the time about my mental health. My mums very controlling though I am grateful she tried to help. It's just not sitting right with me, I don't want her to be THIS involved.
i am praying it all works out well, i am sure it will, you can pray to The Lord about it too- don't worry. God Bless you truly. Just be assertive when they call you. 'And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28.
StarGirlie12
Rep:
?
Did she say she would stop?
I suggest you really sit down and talk with her about it. Dont be snappy, just explain how it makes you feel.
Dont feel embarrassed about it though. I bet other parents have done much worse to that lecturer. You should be fine.
She said 'fine' so I think so, but I just really honestly said that I know she wanted to help but I was worried they wouldn't take me very seriously since she got so involved, and still she got annoyed. She is kind of impulsive and does things without asking first just from little suggestions so I feel like it's my fault for confiding in her. But thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. I guess I could always email back and give my number to the lecturer instead but I am just kind of sitting here feeling stupid about it all for some reason.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
She said 'fine' so I think so, but I just really honestly said that I know she wanted to help but I was worried they wouldn't take me very seriously since she got so involved, and still she got annoyed. She is kind of impulsive and does things without asking first just from little suggestions so I feel like it's my fault for confiding in her. But thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. I guess I could always email back and give my number to the lecturer instead but I am just kind of sitting here feeling stupid about it all for some reason.
Im sorry about your mom. Thats not fair to you

That last bit is a great idea though. Your lecturer will totally understand he has to deal with parents and kids all day every day
StarGirlie12
Rep:
?
Im sorry about your mom. Thats not fair to you

That last bit is a great idea though. Your lecturer will totally understand he has to deal with parents and kids all day every day
She has always been like that. But thanks I will see how that goes
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
She has always been like that. But thanks I will see how that goes
If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.39%
I'm not sure (36)
4.28%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (255)
30.32%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (408)
48.51%

Watched Threads