Starmer-most competent opposition leader since Blair?

Watch
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thoughts? I certainly think so
ColinDent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
He is good yes, although whatever you thought of Cameron as a PM he was also a very good opposition leader so I would say since Cameron.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Define competent? Brown was certainly competent if not overly popular.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I like him, yes. The dry, forensic and legalistic approach certainly works in cutting through Boris' comedy act of bluster and vagueness, particularly at the moment where this terrible government needs holding to account. It's not going to work long-term though, and we need a bit more bloodthirstiness from him. It was nice to see a hint of that yesterday.

All in all, I think it's a very promising start. Finally this government might have to accept that it doesn't exist as some autocratic executive, and can't just act like it's above scrutiny and criticism.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At least unlike Jeremy Corbyn he is an opposition leader in more than name.

We will find out better once the pandemic is over.
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Brown was never Leader of the Opposition
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
He is good yes, although whatever you thought of Cameron as a PM he was also a very good opposition leader so I would say since Cameron.
Forgot about Cameron for some reason, but agreed
motivatedmadman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I like him, yes. The dry, forensic and legalistic approach certainly works in cutting through Boris' comedy act of bluster and vagueness, particularly at the moment where this terrible government needs holding to account. It's not going to work long-term though, and we need a bit more bloodthirstiness from him. It was nice to see a hint of that yesterday.

All in all, I think it's a very promising start. Finally this government might have to accept that it doesn't exist as some autocratic executive, and can't just act like it's above scrutiny and criticism.
Could not have said this better myself 👏🏼
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Brown was never LotO
TJ1997
Rep:
?

At Prime Minister's Questions he definitely holds his own against Boris and you can see the latter on the ropes for most of the exchanges. Yesterday he waffled through most of it and even managed to attack Starmer for doing his job; holding the government to account where necessary.

I reckon we will see less consensus and more bloodthirstiness as time goes on where more issues arising from the economic effects of coronavirus will become apparent.

Absolutely, its impressive to have faith in the opposite side once again. I'm more inclined towards the Tories (used to be Lab before Corbyn) but am seriously considering rejoining Labour if Starmer continues like this; glad to have a serious alternative that might arguably be the real change we need.
Last edited by TJ1997; 4 weeks ago
Amelia 123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
agree
if there was an election this week we would have a very different government imo
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

One of Starmer's challenges is very much this "oil and water" difference with Boris. His forensic approach will win a lot of points, but in the end will it result in any damage to Boris's ability to appeal to the voters?
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
One of Starmer's challenges is very much this "oil and water" difference with Boris. His forensic approach will win a lot of points, but in the end will it result in any damage to Boris's ability to appeal to the voters?
I think after this and the Cummings incident, Boris' reputation will be considerably weakened. Starmer has a lot to do before even thinking of getting the keys to No.10, but I'm sure his appeal will rise when the North see the Tories having to go back on their manifesto commitments to rectify the damage, i.e tax increases or ending things like the fuel duty freeze..
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think after this and the Cummings incident, Boris' reputation will be considerably weakened. Starmer has a lot to do before even thinking of getting the keys to No.10, but I'm sure his appeal will rise when the North see the Tories having to go back on their manifesto commitments to rectify the damage, i.e tax increases or ending things like the fuel duty freeze..
Quite possibly, but the election is most likely a long way off
Amelia 123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Quite possibly, but the election is most likely a long way off
do you think Boris would lose a vote of no confidence yet? I know the rest of the UK find him stupid right now but I wonder whether this is mirrored inside his party
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amelia 123)
do you think Boris would lose a vote of no confidence yet? I know the rest of the UK find him stupid right now but I wonder whether this is mirrored inside his party
No chance at all. Zero.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amelia 123)
agree
if there was an election this week we would have a very different government imo
The polling doesn't agree with you on that one.
neilm1000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Michael Howard was excellent as LoTo- admittedly he took over from The Quiet Man and anyone would look good compared to him. Starmer hasn't been in post long enough yet to tell.

(I voted for IDS in 2001 over Ken Clarke purely over Europe. In hindsight, he was a poor choice but did lay the groundwork for Dave and his hug a hoodie, help the huskies stuff).
RuneFreeze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd say Cameron was better for sure. Also I think Miliband was better at PMQs
RuneFreeze
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No chance at all. Zero.
Yeah lol wtf

I don't think people realise that the last few years of instability were genuinely abnormal. Prime Ministers who just won a majority of 80, as a rule, don't lose confidence
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads