Path to nursing with zero qualifications (including even GCSE's)?

Watch
PilotMJN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have no formal qualifications whatsoever including GCSE's and A-Levels because I left school at an extremely young age. I want to study nursing but I have no idea where to start. Everything I could find online required either GCSE's or to be out of education for at least 5 years (but I got a coding degree a couple years ago which means I haven't been out of education for that long).

Does anyone have any advice that can help me out? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PilotMJN)
I have no formal qualifications whatsoever including GCSE's and A-Levels because I left school at an extremely young age. I want to study nursing but I have no idea where to start. Everything I could find online required either GCSE's or to be out of education for at least 5 years (but I got a coding degree a couple years ago which means I haven't been out of education for that long).

Does anyone have any advice that can help me out? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Which part of the country are you in? There might be an Access to Nursing course for which you could be considered.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

1. Go to college to do GCSE (or equivalent) Maths & English. It's an NMC requirement to have these for nursing courses.
2. See if any university will take you with these & your previous degree. If not... do an access course.
Vam1970
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need a Maths and English GCSE definitely.
So if you are working you could do that online.
If not you may be able to run them at same time as an access or Btech at college.
Then look at access to nursing, your degree may count but the access to nursing will prepare you and again it can be done online or at college.
You can get an advanced learning loan to cover access course and that is written off once you get to university.
It really depends on your home situation and if you need to Continue working whilst studying.
Definitely doable though and never too late.
I totally flunked out of A levels went to work as a hairdresser then did access Course in evenings prior to starting my midwifery.
There are ways into nursing whilst working as HCA then nurse associate and apprenticeships but I would say you still need English and Maths as my hospital requires HCA’s to have Maths and English GCSE.
Good luck
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How did you do a 'coding degree' without GCSE maths, or indeed any sort of degree without GCSE passes in maths and English?

What was the degree title, and the university at which you did it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads