The Student Room Group

Is Boris UK's equivalent to Trump?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
No this is lazy thinking. They are nothing like each other.

They are both compulsive liars, they are both mates with top Russian officials, they are both jingoistic neo-nationalists, they are both racist. Hopefully the Piccaninnies are still smiling though. Another similarity: They both claim to have 'mis-spoken' when something indefensible comes out their mouths.
But lo! One dissimilarity is Johnson's more sophisticated use of the English Language: He can claim to have said something really bad, that other politicians (barring Trump) would not get away with "in a wholly satirical way". Dontcha just love the cuddly little bear?!
Hope I'm not thinking too lazily here.
No they are actually very different.

Trump is actually much more like Thatcher than Boris in terms of temperament

Boris is probably more equivalent to a Blair or Bill Clinton although he is much cleverer and nicer than those two crooks.
Really?
Dignity still matters in public office, and Johnson will never have it. Yet his graver vice is cowardice, reflected in a willingness to tell any audience whatever he thinks most likely to please, heedless of the inevitability of its contradiction an hour later. Like many showy personalities, he is of weak character. Johnson would not recognise truth, whether about his private or political life, if confronted by it in an identity parade. The other day I came across an observation made in 1750 by Bishop Berkeley: “It is impossible that a man who is false to his friends and neighbours should be true to the public.” Almost the only people who think Johnson a nice guy are those who do not know him. There is, of course, a symmetry between himself and Jeremy Corbyn. Corbyn was and is far more honest, but harbours his own delusions.
Unfair to Donald Trump, he is not as bad as Boris Johnson.
Johnson treats mendacity as an art form - a particularly public school sort of activity where argument and debate takes a back seat to competitive rhetoric. The Uk has been fed on a diet of Word Salad for so long now that it may be a while before (if ever) we return to reason and sanity. As to who is the worst? They are similar in their lack of respect for truth. Worst of all, they feed off each other and perpetuate a nasty kind of hateful rule-by-fear politics.
No. The difference is not particularly because the two men are that different - though Johnson does have a greater level of basic competence than Trump - but rather than the UK government system is less centred around a single individual chief executive than the US is.
Original post by Beanbag2
Boris Johnson/ Boris Trump
Donald Trump/ Donald Johnson

I think both are just as ignorant, bigoted and make both the UK and US miserable places to live. A monkey could do a better job than these two.

Nothing alike. At least ideologically. Johnson is a marxist in comparison lol
Reply 47
Original post by anarchism101
No. The difference is not particularly because the two men are that different - though Johnson does have a greater level of basic competence than Trump - but rather than the UK government system is less centred around a single individual chief executive than the US is.

I'm not sure. Trump is so aggressive he always gets what he wants (nearly). Boris on the other hand is the archetypal blustering idiot that sounds so intelligent he gets his way simply by phrasing his questions in a way that his opponents don't understand and end up agreeing with him rather than save face by showing their ignorance. Both are exceedingly dangerous in their own ways. But Boris as a leader? At least you know what you are getting with Trump. Boris is way more calculating. I have no idea what Boris stands for.
Original post by hotpud
I'm not sure. Trump is so aggressive he always gets what he wants (nearly). Boris on the other hand is the archetypal blustering idiot that sounds so intelligent he gets his way simply by phrasing his questions in a way that his opponents don't understand and end up agreeing with him rather than save face by showing their ignorance. Both are exceedingly dangerous in their own ways. But Boris as a leader? At least you know what you are getting with Trump. Boris is way more calculating. I have no idea what Boris stands for.

I think anarchism101 has a good point in that Johnson swims in different political waters (shark-like!). Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson avoids argument by playing the affable 'blustering yet lovable idiot'. He is neither of those. People don't understand him because he talks nonsense, but he knows it and doesn't care. I play live music and it is a lot to do with playing with emotions and not making sense. Oh yes - Johnson stands for himself.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
I'm not sure. Trump is so aggressive he always gets what he wants (nearly).

On the contrary - Trump typically gets angry and throws a tantrum, and then ultimately backs down and makes concessions (and looks for a way to claim the concession as a victory).
Reply 50
Original post by anarchism101
On the contrary - Trump typically gets angry and throws a tantrum, and then ultimately backs down and makes concessions (and looks for a way to claim the concession as a victory).

I had a badge when I was a kid. It said, "I win because I shout loudest." It kind of sums up Trump. And if he doesn't win first time round, he will throw lawyers at you until you concede. He is the ultimate bully. If he gets in a second time, his first term will look pretty tame by comparison. The only reason he wants to stand a second time is get revenge on those who he feels have wronged him.
Reply 51
Original post by swamptheng666
I think anarchism101 has a good point in that Johnson swims in different political waters (shark-like!). Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson avoids argument by playing the affable 'blustering yet lovable idiot'. He is neither of those. People don't understand him because he talks nonsense, but he knows it and doesn't care. I play live music and it is a lot to do with playing with emotions and not making sense. Oh yes - Johnson stands for himself.

You said it so much better than me! :biggrin:
Original post by Beanbag2
Boris Johnson/ Boris Trump
Donald Trump/ Donald Johnson

I think both are just as ignorant, bigoted and make both the UK and US miserable places to live. A monkey could do a better job than these two.

What a silly question. How dare you for even a second, have the audacity to compare the yob and Trump. He doesn't even have half the spine Trump does! Backing down to europe like the little ant he's proved of himself. Meanwhile Trump had brought peace to the middle east, stood STRONG against China and North Korea!
Original post by hotpud
You said it so much better than me! :biggrin:

:u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending