Books to read for Computing Science Ucas Personal Statement

Watch
agirlcalledtheo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello,
I took part in a Webinar on how to improve your Personal Statement and found that they recommend doing research on your subject. Watching talks, listening to podcasts and reading books etc.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any interesting books to do computing science, artificial intelligence, programming etc. I know its usually Medical and Law people who reads books for their PS. Just want to stand out as I have nearly no extra curriculars and Covid-19 has ruined any work experience i would have had.

Please help! THANK YOU!
Last edited by agirlcalledtheo; 7 months ago
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
One simple Google search would help you find everything you need. You sure CS is right for you buddy?
agirlcalledtheo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Xarao)
One simple Google search would help you find everything you need. You sure CS is right for you buddy?
I've done google searches. I've read top 10 books lists online and I have scrolled though pages and pages of books of goodreads. Why I was asking was because I would like someones personal recommendation on books that are helpful and useful to mention in a Personal Statement. I'm hardly going to write that I have read 'Python for Kids' in my personal statement. Am I?
AND FOR THE RECORD I USE DUCKDUCKGO!
Last edited by agirlcalledtheo; 7 months ago
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by agirlcalledtheo)
I've done google searches. I've read top 10 books lists online and I have scrolled though pages and pages of books of goodreads. Why I was asking was because I would like someones personal recommendation on books that are helpful and useful to mention in a Personal Statement. I'm hardly going to write that I have read 'Python for Kids' in my personal statement. Am I?
AND FOR THE RECORD I USE DUCKDUCKGO!
:rofl: I've never laughed so much before on TSR. Thank you :rofl:
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Computing with Quantum Cats? You dont need to stand out - you just need to show your interest and your potential to do well in the course at uni. There's so much you could do for Computer science honestly
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Check out recommended reading lists on university websites
mxxnal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I read "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, it's alright. I'm reading Life 3.0 which is very theoretical, I was going to put it in my PS but didn't have time to read it. So far, a good read.

I don't read very often but these books were interesting.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Remember that your statement isn't a book review so you really don't need to provide any information about the book - just try to link it to your experiences and explain how you used it to develop your knowledge. It really doesn't matter if it is a book/podcast/video/documentary as long as you can link it in with other parts of your statement.

For example, 'during my work experience at Microsoft I was able to observe software engineers coding in Python which I found particularly interesting. As a result I read Python for Dummies and completed a small project to test my skills' (N.B. not my subject area but you get the jist).

This is so much better than just writing about a book because you've demonstrated you are able to complete self-directed learning as a result of your experiences. This is the type of learning that is expected at university so is a good thing to demonstrate if you can.
ScoutLeopard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mxxnal)
I read "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, it's alright. I'm reading Life 3.0 which is very theoretical, I was going to put it in my PS but didn't have time to read it. So far, a good read.

I don't read very often but these books were interesting.
I'm glad this is a good book to read for comp sci! I'm hoping to apply for comp sci / cyber security at uni in a couple of years and I was recommended this one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads