The Student Room Group

Access diploma in science/ biology required for dietetics Bsc

Ok, so I want to pursue Bsc in dietetics and nutrition but my background is accounting hence suggested by university to do access course in science. A level biology is a must as their entry requirement. Looking at learndirect, they have a couple of science options..can you please help me choose one. And would be good idea to do distance learn or do it frm local university in sense of its effect on my application for Bsc on basis of this access course. Would also love to hear from those who have been in my situation and made it further. Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Up2learn
Ok, so I want to pursue Bsc in dietetics and nutrition but my background is accounting hence suggested by university to do access course in science. A level biology is a must as their entry requirement. Looking at learndirect, they have a couple of science options..can you please help me choose one. And would be good idea to do distance learn or do it frm local university in sense of its effect on my application for Bsc on basis of this access course. Would also love to hear from those who have been in my situation and made it further. Thanks

Hi there,

It's great that you're taking the plunge to retrain and change career, good for you. If your goal is to get on a BSc, the best course would be whichever one gives you access to that and prepares you well for it. You might want to do a course search on the Access to HE website, as this lists all the accredited access courses from recognised colleges, including distance learning options... accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search

As whatever course you choose will be to gain entry to the degree, it's best to contact them with the information about the course you're thinking of doing to check if it helps meet the degree entry requirements.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions - Mark
Original post by Up2learn

Do you have any science A levels, or was the last time you did science at GCSE/O level? And how long ago was this?

You need a good science background for nutrition and dietetics - you will be studying physiology, pharmacology, pathology and biochemistry as part of your course, so you need to be up-to-speed with A level science (or its equivalent in an Access course).

I'd always recommend you take a course 'in person' at your local FE college or similar. Not sure if you have one near you, or what the arrangements will be for September, but definitely worth pursuing. I'd avoid distance learning ones wherever possible, as the support tends to be a bit hit and miss, and they are of variable quality.
Reply 3
Access to HE website is very helpful. Thankyou for the suggestion. I am looking on there and can find learndirect and academyonlinelearning on there. With 2 kids-one toddler and my job and also keepingckeeping covid situation in mind, i was considering distance learning as this gives me flexibility i need to study.

I dont have any A levels in science. My Gcse equivalent is not from Uk and what is equivalent to GCSE are all accounting, finance and economics subjects, nowhere near any science topics😃 I was told by university that as far as there are 15 level 3 credits for biology and 15 level 3 credits for chemistry they will consider my application.

Any idea how to find the credits for the courses on learndirect? academyonlinelearning have the credits explained on their website but cant cind one for learndirect. Are there any other online learning platforms that you all might suggest?

Quick Reply

Latest