JakeB57
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I've been going over and over the following question for hours when it should only take a few minutes, I have been close a few times but not quite getting the end result. Was wondering if anyone could come up with the worked solution.

The volume of a spherical bubble is increasing at a constant rate.
Show that the rate of increase of the radius, r, of the bubble is inversely proportional to r^2.

Many thanks.
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
So you need to start off by coming up with a differential equation for the rate of change of volume, which you know is constant.

Think about what the volume of a sphere is and how you could get from the rate of change of volume to the rate of change of the radius.
JakeB57
Rep:
?
(Original post by chapmase)
So you need to start off by coming up with a differential equation for the rate of change of volume, which you know is constant.

Think about what the volume of a sphere is and how you could get from the rate of change of volume to the rate of change of the radius.
From differentiating the volume of the sphere, I came up with 4πr^2.
However, the problem I am having is coming up with the rate of changes equation of which I would need to show the inverse proportionality.
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
chain rule on dV/dt
mathstutor24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You are told that the volume of the sphere is increasing at a constant rate, so you can write this as \frac{dv}{dt}=c (where c is a constant).

You are asked to show (and therefore find) the rate of increase of the radius, which is \frac{dr}{dt}

To find this, use the chain rule: \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dt} \times \frac{dr}{dv}

You already have \frac{dv}{dt} and so need to work out \frac{dr}{dv}

HINT: \frac{dr}{dv}=\frac{1}{\frac{dv}  {dr}}

Now you should be able to figure out \frac{dr}{dt}

HINT: Remember to gather all the constants into one constant, which you can now label k.

You should get \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{k}{r^{2}}
JakeB57
Rep:
?
(Original post by mathstutor24)
You are told that the volume of the sphere is increasing at a constant rate, so you can write this as \frac{dv}{dt}=c (where c is a constant).

You are asked to show (and therefore find) the rate of increase of the radius, which is \frac{dr}{dt}

To find this, use the chain rule: \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dt} \times \frac{dr}{dv}

You already have \frac{dv}{dt} and so need to work out \frac{dr}{dv}

HINT: \frac{dr}{dv}=\frac{1}{\frac{dv}  {dr}}

Now you should be able to figure out \frac{dr}{dt}

HINT: Remember to gather all the constants into one constant, which you can now label k.

You should get \frac{dr}{dt}=\frac{k}{r^{2}}
That's ever so helpful thankyou, that makes the problem look so much easier to go about and solve.
mathstutor24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No problem! Happy to help.

Please ignore if I'm asking about something you already know, but just in case - are you happy with how to set up differential equations involving a rate of change and a proportion relation?
JakeB57
Rep:
?
(Original post by mathstutor24)
No problem! Happy to help.

Please ignore if I'm asking about something you already know, but just in case - are you happy with how to set up differential equations involving a rate of change and a proportion relation?
Yes thanks, I think the issue was the constants and putting all the constants under one constant, k.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (42)
18.58%
No one else does (73)
32.3%
I'm embarrassed about my background (23)
10.18%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (76)
33.63%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.33%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed