The Student Room Group

Physics: resistances

I was given this question and I answered it incorrectly.
I checked the markscheme but their working confuses me, so can anyone explain to me what is going on and the formula they were using?

Annotation 2020-06-04 134317.png
Markscheme:
Annotation 2020-06-04 134316.png
Original post by LeLivre
I checked the markscheme but their working confuses me, so can anyone explain to me what is going on and the formula they were using?

Markscheme:

This is all to do with resisters in parallel and resistors in series. Do you know both the formula?
Because if you know both formula the MS should make sense.
Original post by LeLivre

Markscheme:

It would be better if you can provide more info on what is/are confusing, so that we can better help.

Within the description of the problem, it mentions "50Ω" but in the circuit diagram, it is labelled as "5.0Ω".
Reply 3
Original post by Eimmanuel
It would be better if you can provide more info on what is/are confusing, so that we can better help.

Within the description of the problem, it mentions "50Ω" but in the circuit diagram, it is labelled as "5.0Ω".

The resistance should have been "5.0Ω".
I'm confused on the part that says 1/[1/5.0 + 1/(R+R)] = 2.5
They seemed two have condensed two equations into one. Now that I have looked at it multiple times it seems to be two 1/R equations substituted into each other but I'm not certain.
Original post by LeLivre
The resistance should have been "5.0Ω".
I'm confused on the part that says 1/[1/5.0 + 1/(R+R)] = 2.5
They seemed two have condensed two equations into one. Now that I have looked at it multiple times it seems to be two 1/R equations substituted into each other but I'm not certain.

They have condensed 2 equations into 1.

so its a parallel circuit, along one path the resistance is 5 Ohms along the other the resistance is R+R.

The formula for calculating resistors in parallel is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 ...

hence in this example 1/Rtotal = 1/5 +1/(R+R)
hence Rtotal = 1/[1/5 +1/(R+R)] = 2.5 Ohms

Quick Reply

Latest