How do you revise for latin literature OCR A levels?

Watch
UncleLennie234
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I'm finding latin literature really hard. My teacher is really fast and doesn't explain things properly and books that I buy are too complex.
I would really appreciate some help.
Mirwai
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Form discussion groups, it will help you crack the content and have excellent mastery of the same
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by UncleLennie234)
Hi, I'm finding latin literature really hard. My teacher is really fast and doesn't explain things properly and books that I buy are too complex.
Which texts are you doing? Do you find the unseens/grammar difficult or is it just the literature side of things?
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
With your set texts, you really need to make sure you fully understand the syntax and grammar of each sentence before you start analysing/critiquing - have you tried going through your text and making notes (eg bracketing off clauses, writing down names of constructions) so you’re confident in what it means and how to translate it? You can always ask a friend for help
Also, don’t be afraid to question your teacher until you understand - they’re there for that, after all.
UncleLennie234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm doing the Cicero philippics 2 and the Aeneid 11
UncleLennie234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Classics_Teacher)
Which texts are you doing? Do you find the unseens/grammar difficult or is it just the literature side of things?
Cicero Philippics 2, Aeneid 11 and Ovid Amores 2

I find it all hard and the literature

I don't think I'm given any unseens for my exam though
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cicero Philippics 2, Aeneid 11 and Ovid Amores 2

I find it all hard and the literature

I don't think I'm given any unseens for my exam though
The unseen element is in the first two papers of the A-Level (Unseen Translation & Prose Composition or Comprehension). For the first paper, you'll have a passage of some Livy to translate into English and also a passage of some Ovid to translate, as well as two lines of poetry to scan. The second paper has a choice between a comprehension (similar to the ones you'll have done at GCSE) or a prose comprehension, which is a passage to translate into Latin.

Have you looked at extra tuition, either in-person or online? Sometimes it can help to have someone who is not your teacher and not in a class situation to ask about things that you're finding tricky, or to go through an overview of the whole course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads