Ameliarose34
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am in a pretty tricky situation, I applied for a PGCE this year to study and become a primary teacher, I have little experience in the classroom, and believed at the start of this year I had plenty time to think about this as its a september start. Now as we are in the grips of a global pandemic, I have recently been lucky enough to get a job with a large firm with little risk of losing it due to the sector its in, I am very worried about the impact of the coronavirus on my PGCE this year and think If I go ahead with it I will regret it due to the disruption of this year and the risk it could pose to me and my families health, but also the fact I have given up a secure job and could possibly not enjoy the PGCE and be left unemployed and be unable to support my family during a nationwide recession etc, the cons seem to be outweighing the pros, the best action I could possibly take is to contact the university and explain to them my situation OR seeing if they would defer my place for a 2021 start instead, which is unlikely as it is Manchester University, some one please advise or are you in a similar situation?
HallieMarie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For PGCE you cannot defer. You have to think, you can apply for a PGCE anytime. What would you feel best doing and what would make you happy?
Smilesolid91
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am having the same thoughts! So I know what you’re going through. Have you come to a decision yet? I have been told (by a reliable source) that some schools are not accepting trainee teachers for the 2020 cycle because of the pandemic; however, this is in a primary school. I have been offered a place at MMU and extremely worried about the lack of information I’ve received. I don’t know if you’re any better in the know? I understand this is a difficult situation for all, no one really knows how it is all going to work,
consi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,I was thinking of applying to Durham but to possibly defer to next year. I didn't in the end as I decided I definitely wanted one starting in 2021 but had emailed them and asked and they got back to me and said once I had an offer I could just email them asking to defer and that it wouldn't be a problem. Hope that helps. I'm still thinking of applying to Durham for 2021 but yesterday I applied for Sunderland which begins Jan 2021 which I think could be better for me for practical reasons.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All you can do is ask about deferring, but if you got a place this time around, it's likely you'd get a place in the future too. You can always reapply.

At this point in time, I'm not sure I'd turn down a secure job for the PGCE, because as you say, if you do end up hating it/dropping out you could end up in a tricky situation employment-wise.

I also don't think this year will necessarily offer a brilliant training experience, so it might be better to do your PGCE another year anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise