The Student Room Group

Choosing a University

Hi,
I'm new here, so my question may be repetitious. I want to choose among some universities for a taught master of science degree in communication systems and signal processing. I want to know that which university is better regarding reputation and credibility because i want to study PhD in the future. Any other advice regarding the location, cities, university life, costs, and other things. I am an international student so do not have chance to go and see the universities myself. The universities that I have to choose among are Newcastle University, QMUL, and Brunel University. However, I am more doubtful about the first two. Any piece of advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
First of all you can try looking at league tables (some lecturers at open Days have told me these aren't 100% accurate). The league tables usually show the percentage of students who went on to PhDs.

Secondly, its important to look at the course specifications because you might prefer modules in one university to another.

One of my teachers with a doctorate advised us that as long as you work hard at a decent university you can do your masters and PhDs at a better one- this didn't apply to him though as he studied at a top university and completed both there fully funded.

Its unfortunate that you can't visit as that can often define your choice. SOAS looked amazing online and the undergraduate entry requirements were AAA I think. When I went there in person I realised that it wasn't the kind of atmosphere I wanted to study in so it's not one of my choices.

London is the most expensive but offers the most in terms of loans. It's a busy city so there's a lot to explore there. I'd suggest watching videos of people travelling to the unis or Q&A videos about them!

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

If you use that website you can search by category and compare your choices.😊

Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending