The Student Room Group

Geography Exam question

Hi, i'm having some trouble answering this question. Thank you if you help.

' Evaluate whether the Lesotho highland water project is worth the enourmous costs involved ' 6 marks.
My teacher said this would get 5/6 marks so add in anything else relevant you can :smile:

Lesotho is a highland country in Southern Africa. It is surrounded by South Africa. As Lesotho has a water surplus and South Africa has a water deficit, Lesotho aims to transfer water to SA. The water project aims to have 2000 million m^3 of water in SA by 2020. The water project consists of dams, reservoirs and tunnels. For example, the Katse and Mohale Dam. While the scheme is beneficial as it aids the water shortage in SA, it does have some disadvantages. The scheme will bring lots of water to SA however, 40% of the water will be lost due to leakages. This has a huge effect as it wastes the water AND the large sum of money. It is estimated that the total cost of the project is £8bn. After having spent such a huge amount of money, for nearly 50% of the water to be lost via leakages is very infuriating. Be that as it may, hopefully, as Lesotho and SA gain more money, these leakages will be managed. Although, the water project does only provide water to 10% of the population with a lack of clean water. The ability to access clean safe water is invaluable and therefore, I think the Lesotho highland water project is worth its costs. Especially if they manage the leakages.
Reply 2
Original post by Annabeldd
My teacher said this would get 5/6 marks so add in anything else relevant you can :smile:

Lesotho is a highland country in Southern Africa. It is surrounded by South Africa. As Lesotho has a water surplus and South Africa has a water deficit, Lesotho aims to transfer water to SA. The water project aims to have 2000 million m^3 of water in SA by 2020. The water project consists of dams, reservoirs and tunnels. For example, the Katse and Mohale Dam. While the scheme is beneficial as it aids the water shortage in SA, it does have some disadvantages. The scheme will bring lots of water to SA however, 40% of the water will be lost due to leakages. This has a huge effect as it wastes the water AND the large sum of money. It is estimated that the total cost of the project is £8bn. After having spent such a huge amount of money, for nearly 50% of the water to be lost via leakages is very infuriating. Be that as it may, hopefully, as Lesotho and SA gain more money, these leakages will be managed. Although, the water project does only provide water to 10% of the population with a lack of clean water. The ability to access clean safe water is invaluable and therefore, I think the Lesotho highland water project is worth its costs. Especially if they manage the leakages.

Thanks so much, stay safe :smile:
Original post by Annabeldd

good answer

Quick Reply

Latest