The Student Room Group

Is there anything wrong with racist jokes?

Okay so there was recently a picture trending which had two white boys mocking the death of mr.floyd and there are humours that they got arrested however is this not against freedom of speech?

Southpark and family guy have made countless racist jokes and everyone is cool with it so why can't a group of friends make racist jokes if it does not hurt anyone and its strictly banter?

im very much against racism used as insults but i dont think anythings wrong with using it among friends ?

Scroll to see replies

Some people are offended by them.
Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't mean you can justify your wrong doings or abuse it. Those boys shouldn't be mocking anyone's death.
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't mean you can justify your wrong doings or abuse it. Those boys shouldn't be mocking anyone's death.

The UK doesn't have freedom of speech. That is an American thing.
Original post by DiddyDec

Yes but OP used freedom of speech in the argument
they're not funny
Reply 6
A joke implies that it was funny, it wasn’t.
He was tortured to death, not sure why this is even a discussion? It’s their fault for posting it on social media and exposing themselves.
Reply 7

We have freedom of expression and speech falls under that remit.
Original post by Faith.A

But it is not total freedom as freedom of speech is, it has limits and caveats.
Reply 9
Making jokes about someones death is disrespectful and honestly just gross. Especially in this situation.
I dont know why anyone would think it is appropriate or 'funny' to joke about a man being killed in a really awful way.
Original post by Faith.A

:laugh:
Original post by IsirRealist
Okay so there was recently a picture trending which had two white boys mocking the death of mr.floyd and there are humours that they got arrested however is this not against freedom of speech?

Southpark and family guy have made countless racist jokes and everyone is cool with it so why can't a group of friends make racist jokes if it does not hurt anyone and its strictly banter?

im very much against racism used as insults but i dont think anythings wrong with using it among friends ?

There are limits. those kids went too far. within those limits and definitely only to your friends, its fine

The thing is if George Floyd was white there most likely wouldn't even be a dumb George Floyd challenge. And do you know why that is? Because they see black people as a joke. The centre of humour for their entertainment because they can reduce a man being slowly tortured to death as something to be mimicked and poked fun at.
Original post by Faith.A
The thing is if George Floyd was white there most likely wouldn't even be a dumb George Floyd challenge. And do you know why that is? Because they see black people as a joke. The centre of humour for their entertainment because they can reduce a man being slowly tortured to death as something to be mimicked and poked fun at.

Exactly. The needs, rights and safety of Black people are seen as secondary, so until the police force and the government start taking institutionalised racism seriously, people will still think it's okay to make jokes like that. They have to lead by example.
But it is not total freedom as freedom of speech is, it has limits and caveats.

Yep, very true. But to suggest freedom of speech doesn't exist in the UK is to ignore what we do have in place. But then it begs to question if there are limitations put on freedom, how 'free' is it?
Original post by bones-mccoy
Exactly. The needs, rights and safety of Black people are seen as secondary, so until the police force and the government start taking institutionalised racism seriously, people will still think it's okay to make jokes like that. They have to lead by example.

no offence but there should never be a limit of freedom of speech becauce when you do you draw the line?

jokes on black people suffering is bad but jokes on white,asian and even latin people is Okay?

i have seen pictures of people mocking the death of isis victims but that never got the same attention?

Because that is exactly where racism starts! If a person feels okay to pass racist jokes let alone mock the death of a person who has died because of racism, then that person will end up being a racist person themselves. This is exactly the kind of things that turn a perfectly good person into a racist.

Depends on timing on current events, the people you are around and the delivery of the joke. Sometimes they are funny ngl.
Reply 18

I don't go around saying racist jokes ... but I do have a dark kind of humour and will find some racist jokes funny.

I can laugh at racist jokes aimed at my own race just as much as other races.

really does depends on the "joke" though
Yes and no.

If they had done that privately or with a group of mates to amuse themselves and not let somebody film it then ok .... it’s not funny but it’s not being done to hurt anyone else. If you do something like that and put it on the internet for other people to look at then the intention is to cause trouble and upset people ... there’s no other reason for publicising something like that ... so then it needs to be dealt with.

Quick Reply

Latest