future_11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I want kids young (preferably at least one by the time im 23) but i also want to go medical school. Is it crazy/unethical to consider having a surrogate carry the baby if i were in medical school. Then at least i could at least focus on my studies without having to deal with extra stress because of the changes going on in my body. Of course i would still take maternity leave but that's still 9 months that i will be able to continue in uni.
Is this a completely insane and stupid idea? PLEASE BE HONEST THANKS
** I'm only 16 right now so sorry if i do sound immature i just really want a family but also want a career
sammyj97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Its possible to have both. Do you think every doctor currently has no family or kids?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah a little insane. You want to study medicine and be looking after a baby? Do you have a partner in all this?
You will have placements (some nights), how do you take care of the baby? How do you have a normal social life? How will you afford it? There are so many things to consider and I don't think you have thought this through......
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Having children whilre you're in full time education and doing work placements on top is a very bad idea
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It sounds completely insane to me personally. Using a surrogate is one thing. It’s illegal to charge a fee but you are liable to cover their expenses. Where is the money coming from? When it’s born how are you going to cover your crazy med student hours and study with a baby? Or are you planning on letting someone else do everything? In which case it’s pointless.
You should wait until you are settled and ready
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by future_11)
I want kids young (preferably at least one by the time im 23) but i also want to go medical school. Is it crazy/unethical to consider having a surrogate carry the baby if i were in medical school. Then at least i could at least focus on my studies without having to deal with extra stress because of the changes going on in my body. Of course i would still take maternity leave but that's still 9 months that i will be able to continue in uni.
** I'm only 16 right now so sorry if i do sound immature i just really want a family but also want a career

I think you should wait and see what's going on in your life when you're 23, sounds like you're hugely overplanning at the moment.

You can definitely have a family don't worry. There is life after your early 20s...
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Don't think it solves the problems at all really. Not to belittle pregnancy, but most mothers can continue to work until like 36 weeks. Its the **** (literally and otherwise) that comes afterwards that's going to be the massive commitment!

Bear in mind very poor mat pay if you have a baby whilst unemployed. Babies are expensive.

Also bear in mind that a good 20% of couples can't get pregnant in the first 6 months. Its hard to just schedule a baby.
(Original post by sammyj97)
Its possible to have both. Do you think every doctor currently has no family or kids?
True, but it does tend to get fitted around the career. Certainly a baby at 23 would be very unusual.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There is nothing wrong with considering your options in relation to ivf or surrogacy.
But do bear in mind that being a student parent is very demanding in terms of balancing your finances, studies, family life, time and childcare arrangements.

Uni places to study medicine are limited, very competitive and the practical demands of life as a med student then junior doctor are onerous.
I would imagine being a single parent medical student would be a very stressful and extremely difficult balancing act to cope with.
ecolier Any advice?
GANFYD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Democracy)
There is life after your early 20s...
Do not fill them with hope........

(Original post by londonmyst)
There is nothing wrong with considering your options in relation to ivf or surrogacy.
But do bear in mind that being a student parent is very demanding in terms of balancing your finances, studies, family life, time and childcare arrangements.

Uni places to study medicine are limited, very competitive and the practical demands of life as a med student then junior doctor are onerous.
I would imagine being a single parent medical student would be a very stressful and extremely difficult balancing act to cope with.
ecolier Any advice?
There is already advice from doctors - and even one with a real baby - on the thread, though the more the merrier.

Of course i would still take maternity leave but that's still 9 months that i will be able to continue in uni.
I worked until 2 days before each of my first 2 children were born and only stopped with the 3rd as I was medically unfit. And this was as a Dr on call, not just a med student. Plus I did not have "good" or "easy" pregnancies.
As pointed out, the pregnancy is a walk in the park compared to the next 18 years!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why the rush to have children? 23 would be very young for a doctor to have kids unless unplanned tbh, but the majority do eventually sprog up, more usually in the late 20s/early 30s (I was 32 and 34 when mine were born). Going through the expense and complications of using a surrogate just to have a baby at an arbitrary age does seem crazy. And as has already been said, having a child when you have no means of financially supporting them, regardless of whether you carry it or someone else does, seems like a very bad idea. Pregnancy isn't easy for many women, but it's certainly possible for most to work/study up until late in the 3rd trimester (I worked up to 37ish weeks both times, though the last few weeks were a struggle), with the exception of a few who have e.g. hyperemesis/other pregnancy complications. It's the parenting afterwards, and juggling that with work and childcare afterwards, that's the real challenge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads