Uphill starts at junctions and uphill traffic lights

Watch
arsy50
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello can anyone help with how to move off at uphill junctions and traffic lights uphill without the handbrake how would you do it. I can do it with handbrake I set gas and bite then release handbrake but how do you do this when you are only there for a few seconds and dont use the handbrake and just clutch down and keep the brake on.
Gillzy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by arsy50)
Hello can anyone help with how to move off at uphill junctions and traffic lights uphill without the handbrake how would you do it. I can do it with handbrake I set gas and bite then release handbrake but how do you do this when you are only there for a few seconds and dont use the handbrake and just clutch down and keep the brake on.
As you said get the bite point and then put on a lot more gas than usual then release the handbrake once confident that you can move without stalling. not much else to it, just keep the revs high, dont give up too much of the clutch and try not to overthink it.
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Without the handbrake, you can either hold it on the bite (although this can ruin the clutch over time), or use the brake. You’ll need to practise switching from the brake pedal to the gas in one swift movement though.
arsy50
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gillzy)
As you said get the bite point and then put on a lot more gas than usual then release the handbrake once confident that you can move without stalling. not much else to it, just keep the revs high, dont give up too much of the clutch and try not to overthink it.
How do I do this without the handbrake
ericl3ung
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
These are the options:

1. Hold the biting point until it is safe to go (but will wear the clutch out).
2. Use hill hold (if your car has it).
3. USE THE HANDBRAKE.
arsy50
Rep:
?
(Original post by ericl3ung)
These are the options:

1. Hold the biting point until it is safe to go (but will wear the clutch out).
2. Use hill hold (if your car has it).
3. USE THE HANDBRAKE.
Do I find the bite with the footbrake on then move to gas pedal
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by arsy50)
Do I find the bite with the footbrake on then move to gas pedal
No, if you’re holding the car on the bite you shouldn’t actually need to use the brake at all. Momentum will slow the car down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (18)
19.57%
I'm not sure (2)
2.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (25)
27.17%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.26%
I'm not a current university student (44)
47.83%

Watched Threads