The Student Room Group

I think I’m depressed...

Hello,

So I’ve been kinda thinking for the past few days that I’m not good enough for this world and I’m not gonna go anywhere in life and I’m a complete failure... Recently, my family has become a complete mess and I’m feeling really horrible about myself and who I am... I’ve even started telling myself I should just give up and quit... I have no motivation for anything, I REALLY DO WANNA DO WELL... I’m just really low about myself and I feel like I need guidance... please can someone give me anyway I can make myself feel happy again or at least enjoy revision just so I can make myself and my family proud.. I don’t wanna feel like more of a failure and a mistake than I already do..
damn ify
Reply 2
Your not a failure and your not a mistake. I bet you are a lovely, smart person with a bright future.

Lockdown has shown to be very hard for a lot of people. Start a schedule if you havent already. Try to get at least 15 minutes of exercise everyday, 30 if you can. Try new things that you have never done before. Maybe you have always wanted to paint, or draw. Go for it! Also take part in your hobbies. All of these things should keep you happy and healthy.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

So I’ve been kinda thinking for the past few days that I’m not good enough for this world and I’m not gonna go anywhere in life and I’m a complete failure... Recently, my family has become a complete mess and I’m feeling really horrible about myself and who I am... I’ve even started telling myself I should just give up and quit... I have no motivation for anything, I REALLY DO WANNA DO WELL... I’m just really low about myself and I feel like I need guidance... please can someone give me anyway I can make myself feel happy again or at least enjoy revision just so I can make myself and my family proud.. I don’t wanna feel like more of a failure and a mistake than I already do..

Hi,

It sounds horrible to be feeling like you are not good enough for this world.

It can be so frustrating when you really want to achieve something but you can't summon the energy required to do it, like being stuck at the bottom of a mountain that you really want to get to the top of, but are finding it so difficult to take the first few steps.

Enjoying revision is possible, but it can be different for everyone. Your environment can play a big part in it. It might be really difficult in the current circumstances, but try to create a space that you feel most comfortable working from, that includes deciding whether you are better working inside or outside, if there's a room that suits you best, which part of that room etc. Also think about whether having music you like playing in the background will be a help.It might be that changing your environment from time to time helps you too.

Depending on your learning style, then ways to improve your enjoyment of revision could include, watching videos on line, making notes on post it notes and sticking them around your learning environment, creating your own fact cards (just scraps of paper is fine) and testing yourself on what's on them without looking at them, getting other people involved could work for you - maye doing quizzes with friend or finding people online who are revising the same subjects.

It's also really important to take your breaks as well. Do things that you enjoy for the sake of it, whatever that may be, to allow your mind to refresh for the next bit of revision. It's better to do two quality hours of revision in a day than twelve poor hours.

For ideas of making revision more fun, don't forget to ask your good friend Professor Google - there are loads of articles on lines with suggestions, some won't work for you, but some will.

So just like climbing that mountain:

Start by taking the first step.
Choose the walking style that suits you best.
Take breaks and enjoy the view (if you kept walking all the time you would collapse of exhaustion)
Keep thinking of the long term motivation of the view from the top (that feeling of going into an exam knowing you are proud of your revision)
Keep glancing back every now and again and be proud of how far you have come, rather than worrying about how far you have to go.
When you feel exhausted, don't quit, just learn to rest and enjoy that view.

Good luck with it all.

Socrates
well for starters you're telling yourself that you're a failure and you're not good enough, this inner voice of yours is the only thing that you are gonna have constantly with you, we can give you a few words of encouragement here but that will only last a few hours before you feel down and start listening to this voice telling you you're not good enough again. You should control this voice and these thoughts you have, rather than have it criticise you while other people encourage you, you should have this voice encourage you and if others do it or not it doesn't matter. Just let it be your best friend rather than an enemy. And working for your big goals isn't going to always be fun and enjoyment, sure at the start revising might feel fun but slowly it will start feeling heavy and exhausting. Surprise surprise this is where you must stay strong and keep going at it if you really do want to achieve this goal of yours. If revision and working hard was really enjoyable like that then everyone would be doing this constantly, but most people don't and give up because it gets too hard for them. You must however stay strong and not give up when things aren't as fun as before. Now it's up to you if you want to be of those that give up at the first sight of resistance or of those that keep going at it and become successful.

Quick Reply

Latest