The Student Room Group

Minimum Maintenance Loan

I applied for my tuition and maintenance a while ago but recently had to give evidence for another guardian. At the time of applying I was living away entirely and had no intention of going back home so wasn't expecting to add this guardian. We're also not related in any way and I've never been supported by him either.
Regardless he's quite a high earner which pushes the household income to between 50k-60k a year.
I've seen other threads on the student room with people that have high earning parents but have still received the additional maintenance grant (even if its a small amount), but after looking at my student finance account today its saying my entitlement summary is purely just the maintenance loan. I think it could be a possibility I haven't waited long enough as I only sent in the extra information around a week ago but I'm massively concerned I won't be able to pay for uni with my maintenance loan being so low.
Even with the household income is there any possibility I'll still be able to get the additional maintenance loan and I just have to wait for my account to be updated, or am I going to need to find additional help?

Thanks
Potentially still not processed yet but if the total income is over 60+ish k then that would likely mean no additional amount will be awarded.
Reply 2
Original post by Shirohige
Potentially still not processed yet but if the total income is over 60+ish k then that would likely mean no additional amount will be awarded.

Its definitely not over 60K it varies from around 50-52 I believe
Original post by Prof_Shift
Its definitely not over 60K it varies from around 50-52 I believe

Ahhh OK. Just give it a little time for them to update it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Shirohige
Ahhh OK. Just give it a little time for them to update it

Thanks man, I need the reassurance because I'm literally freaking out about this lol
Original post by Prof_Shift
I applied for my tuition and maintenance a while ago but recently had to give evidence for another guardian. At the time of applying I was living away entirely and had no intention of going back home so wasn't expecting to add this guardian. We're also not related in any way and I've never been supported by him either.
Regardless he's quite a high earner which pushes the household income to between 50k-60k a year.
I've seen other threads on the student room with people that have high earning parents but have still received the additional maintenance grant (even if its a small amount), but after looking at my student finance account today its saying my entitlement summary is purely just the maintenance loan. I think it could be a possibility I haven't waited long enough as I only sent in the extra information around a week ago but I'm massively concerned I won't be able to pay for uni with my maintenance loan being so low.
Even with the household income is there any possibility I'll still be able to get the additional maintenance loan and I just have to wait for my account to be updated, or am I going to need to find additional help?

Thanks

Hey @Prof_Shift!

I know what it’s like to have the minimum loan at uni, it’s not easy but there are a few things you can do to help:
- make a meal plan that’s cheap to live on but still healthy - knowing what you’re going to eat in advance will save you from splashing out money on unnecessary things
- try and get a job at uni - try a student rep job or just any other job part-time that you can fit around your studies
-try and get a summer job (may not be possible this year) but it can really help if you save the money and then use it for food etc when you are back at uni
-if you like to go on nights out maybe try and get to the club for free entry as this can save you up to £5

I hope these few ideas help you to think about how you can live with a small loan!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest