The Student Room Group

What to do when you’ve done something morally wrong?

I wronged someone a couple years ago and I feel really guilty about it. They haven’t brought it up/acknowledged it so I haven’t apologised. I don’t think I can every talk about it as I’m too ashamed. I’m not sure how to move on from this. I’m not the same person I was back then but I’m still responsible for what I did.

Scroll to see replies

You learn from it.

You can apologise and you probably should but don't expect them to accept or forgive your apology, especially considering how long it's been. Apologising at this point would only satisfy yourself and your own guilty conscience. The most important thing is that you grow as a person and that you don't wrong others anymore. Consider what it would be like to be in their shoes.
Reply 2
Original post by Quick-use
You learn from it.

You can apologise and you probably should but don't expect them to accept or forgive your apology, especially considering how long it's been. Apologising at this point would only satisfy yourself and your own guilty conscience. The most important thing is that you grow as a person and that you don't wrong others anymore. Consider what it would be like to be in their shoes.

I’ve definitely learned from it and like I said I’m not the same person I was then. We’re still talk/friends, is there is anything I can do for them
After watching the stranger on netflix I was about to say cover up the murder and blame it on the person most closed to you but in retrospect probably not helpful, you learn you move on and you become a better person is what you should actually do.
Reply 4
ten hail marys and a lord's prayer
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by physicsamor
After watching the stranger on netflix I was about to say cover up the murder and blame it on the person most closed to you but in retrospect probably not helpful, you learn you move on and you become a better person is what you should actually do.

Have been trying to do that but just can’t seem to shake it
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve definitely learned from it and like I said I’m not the same person I was then. We’re still talk/friends, is there is anything I can do for them

The only thing you can do is to live by your new standards. You should also acknowledge what happened and profusely apologise. Don't hide from the truth. Embrace it and and allow yourself to learn from the humility. Don't let your pride shield you from your own flaws; don't shy away from acknowledging it because it might be awkward or embarrassing.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
ten hail mary's and a lord's prayer

I’m an atheist
Reply 8
I don’t think I can ever make up for my it. In my eyes the magnitude of it Is too big
Reply 9
I’m an atheist

so what, me too
Original post by Quick-use
The only thing you can do is to live by your new standards. You should also acknowledge what happened and profusely apologise. Don't hide from the truth. Embrace it and and allow yourself to learn from the humility. Don't let your pride shield you from your own flaws; don't shy away from acknowledging it because it might be awkward or embarrassing.

I think it’s way worse than it being awkward/ embarrassing. I’m too much of a coward to bring it up to be honest. Sometimes I think it would be easier not existing anymore
I would rather not get into the specifics
Good question, I think I’m in a strange headspace
Original post by physicsamor

The Stranger is such a sick and kick-ass series. Too bad it was only one season. I am devastated
Wise advice I’ll try to do that. What I did is against everything I stand for now. But I have to live with myself so I should give that a go
Just curious, what kind of people do you think are beyond redemption?
Reply 16
Just dont let it happen again?
How bad are we talking. Murdered this persons mother, or just spilled a cocktail on their white shirt?
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Just dont let it happen again?
How bad are we talking. Murdered this persons mother, or just spilled a cocktail on their white shirt?

It hasn’t happened again. 1 being spilling a cocktail and 10 being murdering their parents. I’d say a strong 9 even 10 in my opinion
Reply 18
It hasn’t happened again. 1 being spilling a cocktail and 10 being murdering their parents. I’d say a strong 9 even 10 in my opinion

Oh ****. And they still talk to you?!
I would apologize if its been on your mind. Maybe just bring it up and say that your really sorry and you werent thinking straight?
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Oh ****. And they still talk to you?!
I would apologize if its been on your mind. Maybe just bring it up and say that your really sorry and you werent thinking straight?

Yeah we’re still friends and hangout. I don’t think I can bring myself to bring it up especially when they haven’t acknowledged it. It’s not a pride thing it’s a cowards thing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending