Grace Appleby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m thinking of doing A level History, does anyone have any advice, like how to manage workload, and what are the lessons like?

The topics I’m doing are:
Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007
The Quest for Political Stability in Germany (I think from the years 1871-1990)
Coursework on the Tudors
majorajajaja
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't do it. It's the worst subject and will lead you to nowhere. If you want a job do maths or science otherwise say hello to Indiana Jones
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Grace Appleby)
I’m thinking of doing A level History, does anyone have any advice, like how to manage workload, and what are the lessons like?

The topics I’m doing are:
Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007
The Quest for Political Stability in Germany (I think from the years 1871-1990)
Coursework on the Tudors
Hey Grace Appleby!

I wish I could give more help but it really depends what your school and teachers are like as to how the lessons will be like and to the amount of work you will get. Personally, History is my favourite subject so I found A-Level Hsitry super interesting (I didn't study the same topics) and my workload was fine. I did it on top of English Literature, Government and Politics and Sociology, so a lot of essays but it was all manageable

Do you actually enjoy History? If not it could be a long two years, and I don't really recommend anyone taking subjects they don't like or have an interest in. What other subjects will you be taking and what do you want to do in the future?

Courtney -- Official Student Reo
Grace Appleby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey Grace Appleby!

I wish I could give more help but it really depends what your school and teachers are like as to how the lessons will be like and to the amount of work you will get. Personally, History is my favourite subject so I found A-Level Hsitry super interesting (I didn't study the same topics) and my workload was fine. I did it on top of English Literature, Government and Politics and Sociology, so a lot of essays but it was all manageable

Do you actually enjoy History? If not it could be a long two years, and I don't really recommend anyone taking subjects they don't like or have an interest in. What other subjects will you be taking and what do you want to do in the future?

Courtney -- Official Student Reo
Yeah I History was my favourite subject at GCSE, I really enjoy it. I’m thinking of taking it with Philosophy and Psychology and then do an AS in Core Maths. I want to be a Criminal Analyst when I’m older, so perhaps get a degree in Criminology
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do A level History and I recommend looking at the topics if it is interesting to you because I dont recommend it if you dont. The workload is doable tbh as long as you do your homework early and in frees and if you spread them out throughout the week it becomes so much easier to handle. If you dont find the topics interesting, the workload becomes a nightmare and really burdensome to do. The lessons will be different for each school but I do Tudors and Germany (I havent had a lesson on coursework due to COVID 19): For Tudors, it's like a lecture, where the teachers explain the slideshows better, and it can become a seminar when we talk in groups about the reading we did as homework; for Germany, we go through the sheets mainly (like GCSE) and once in a while we do a seminar type thing where we are in groups assigned with a question and we go off and do that work together and come to the lesson and talk about the question and questioned on it. Teaching styles will differ and I think my teachers' styles differ because one is more experienced in lectures while the other one handles GCSE work as well as A level so it's more to that level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads