username5307706
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
this year i’m starting 6th form and i’m debating between these two and i have pros n cons for both. Pros for maths is that i loved it at gcse and i’m hoping to get an 8 or 9 during summer without really revising for it. Also my parents want me to do maths really bad because they keep saying it’s a very helpful and well sought subject and skill. Normally my gcse’s came naturally to me so i just winged most of the year. Cons of this is that there are mixed arguments of a level maths. People say its easy but some say it’s hard and a big step up and now i’m conflicted on what i should think. I never did gcse psych but pros of a level is that people are saying it’s very easy to apply content to exam papers as long as you know what you are doing. Cons of this is that it is a heavy content subject and without studying for my gcse’s i am not sure how I will be able to handle this. I’m looking to do a medical degree and become a orthopaedic/cardiothoracic /general surgeon so im doing bio chem but the third does not have to be maths, which is why i’m conflicted. Please help and comment, i have to make a final decision before results day.
JGoosey2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you’re 100% on doing medicine I’d take the one you think you’re more likely to get an A in. If you aren’t, maths is needed for a lot of degrees. This doesn’t mean you should necessarily pick maths but be careful not to close any other potential doors you can see yourself going through in the future.

As for A level maths, most people have to put effort in to do well. I was the same where I got a 9 at gcse and didn’t really have to try. That didn’t work for me at A level however it still does work for some. That said, if you can get an 8/9 at gcse with minimal effort, you can easily get an A in maths at A level so long as you work hard consistently
username5307706
Rep:
?
(Original post by JGoosey2002)
If you’re 100% on doing medicine I’d take the one you think you’re more likely to get an A in. If you aren’t, maths is needed for a lot of degrees. This doesn’t mean you should necessarily pick maths but be careful not to close any other potential doors you can see yourself going through in the future.

As for A level maths, most people have to put effort in to do well. I was the same where I got a 9 at gcse and didn’t really have to try. That didn’t work for me at A level however it still does work for some. That said, if you can get an 8/9 at gcse with minimal effort, you can easily get an A in maths at A level so long as you work hard consistently
I am waiting for my grades to come but this thing happens to me when I revise I do worse than I do if I procrastinate and wing the exam. How do you think this affects whether I can get an A in maths (which is what I want to go for minimum)
JGoosey2002
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jcruzfdz)
I am waiting for my grades to come but this thing happens to me when I revise I do worse than I do if I procrastinate and wing the exam. How do you think this affects whether I can get an A in maths (which is what I want to go for minimum)
You and I both know that is bull****. How can revision decrease your knowledge? If that is true, is that just for maths and how do you revise?
username5307706
Rep:
?
You and I both know that is bull****. How can revision decrease your knowledge? If that is true, is that just for maths and how do you revise?
Bro I swear, it happens in other subjects too 😂😂 i winged one I got an 8, almost a 9, i revised for the other and got a 7, so i gave up revising completely and here i am. I’d go through a textbook n do a past paper for revision at the most. Trust me no one in school believes me either 😂
JGoosey2002
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jcruzfdz)
Bro I swear, it happens in other subjects too 😂😂 i winged one I got an 8, almost a 9, i revised for the other and got a 7, so i gave up revising completely and here i am. I’d go through a textbook n do a past paper for revision at the most. Trust me no one in school believes me either 😂
I think you probably just don’t know how to revise best for yourself yet. This will improve with more revision but I can’t really tell you how. I used YouTube videos to revise maths and that worked quite well for me but might not for you. Revising >>> not revising and don’t let that anomaly convince you otherwise.

I still think you should pick the one you’ll do better at. Look up all the courses you’re interested in and see which fits you best. I’d actually recommend taking 4 and dropping one after like a month just in case you hate one of them.
username5307706
Rep:
?
I think you probably just don’t know how to revise best for yourself yet. This will improve with more revision but I can’t really tell you how. I used YouTube videos to revise maths and that worked quite well for me but might not for you. Revising >>> not revising and don’t let that anomaly convince you otherwise.

I still think you should pick the one you’ll do better at. Look up all the courses you’re interested in and see which fits you best. I’d actually recommend taking 4 and dropping one after like a month just in case you hate one of them.
Mhm i have gone over some of the psych content which i found very interesting and cool, haven’t been able to go over maths yet until i get lessons next week, heard as is so easy so hoping year 2 won’t put me off 😬
I’ve converted all my a level textbooks to pdfs on my ipad with summary pages at the end of each topic, hope that works!
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5307706)
this year i’m starting 6th form and i’m debating between these two and i have pros n cons for both. Pros for maths is that i loved it at gcse and i’m hoping to get an 8 or 9 during summer without really revising for it. Also my parents want me to do maths really bad because they keep saying it’s a very helpful and well sought subject and skill. Normally my gcse’s came naturally to me so i just winged most of the year. Cons of this is that there are mixed arguments of a level maths. People say its easy but some say it’s hard and a big step up and now i’m conflicted on what i should think. I never did gcse psych but pros of a level is that people are saying it’s very easy to apply content to exam papers as long as you know what you are doing. Cons of this is that it is a heavy content subject and without studying for my gcse’s i am not sure how I will be able to handle this. I’m looking to do a medical degree and become a orthopaedic/cardiothoracic /general surgeon so im doing bio chem but the third does not have to be maths, which is why i’m conflicted. Please help and comment, i have to make a final decision before results day.
Take whichever subject you want to do, not what your parents want. I have a good few friends who are very smart but only took a level maths because their parents wanted them to - they all ended up doing badly in maths because they didn't enjoy it and eventually switched subjects to ones they preferred.

Maths could helped a very small amount when you get round to doing UCAT and/or BMAT exams, but you can easily brush up on your maths skills without a level maths - the admission exams only require basic arithmetic and mental maths skills.

Don't think about how much content there is unless you really struggle with factual recall - content won't be much of a problem as long as you enjoy the subject.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
21.48%
Less motivated (117)
78.52%

Watched Threads