Esimm03
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
I've recently been thinking a lot about what I want to do career-wise, and I have developed an interest in geology, it looks really good, and I really like the jobs it leads into, and I think it is what I would like to do for my degree, However, When I started sixth form, I wanted to go down the politics/history route, thus chose subjects tailored around that. I'm currently studying Geography, History and English lit, alongside an EPQ on the topic of the Chinese Government's handling of SARS. Most Geology courses that I find online require two science subjects, and I only have one.

Could anyone recommend any courses I could look into that require one or no science subjects to study geology, without a foundation year? The grades I am aiming for are AAAB (A in English, geog, and epq, and a B in history)

And is there anything I can do to demonstrate an adequate interest in the subject, that might help my uni application? (I'm thinking about applying to become a Junior Candidate fellow of the Royal Geological Society, alongside MOOCs on fundamental Geology)

Finally, What's the difference between earth sciences and Geology? from what I gather Earth sciences also include the atmosphere, oceans, and processes under the surface, whereas geology focuses primarily on rocks? I'm thinking of going onto planetary geology, so would Earth sciences also be a possible entry into that field?

Sorry if this post is a little all over the place!

Thanks,
Ethan
Headingtonian
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi Ethan,

To start with your last question - Earth Sciences and Geology are pretty similar so you could definitely look at both (along with Geoscience). At Oxford, if we just do a bachelors we graduate in geology whereas if we take the integrated masters route, we do Earth Sciences. The degree is the same for the first 3 years though! At other places, doing Earth Sciences opens out your options a bit compared to geology, as the department may also offer geophysics or environmental science options (from memory Durham is like this). Earth Sciences would be a great way into planetary geology - I have a friend doing just that! The definitions each university uses differ a bit, so it is worth looking at the course/module structures of courses which have caught your eye

For demonstrating an interest in the subject MOOCs are a great place to start! You could also read some books or watch documentaries/recorded lectures. There is another thread in this forum where I gave a few suggestions. Becoming a candidate fellow of the GeolSoc probably doesn't make much of an effect, as you could have just joined and never done anything with it! But membership does get you a quite good magazine which may give you ideas of things to look into further.

To find places which only require one/0 sciences, I'm afraid there isn't anything to do other than open all the geology courses on UCAS and look at the entry requirements! I've just had a brief look and one great place which only requires one science is Southampton! A word of warning - the entry requirements e.g. AAB don't include your EPQ unless they explicitly state it, and in that case, it will probably be something like "AAB or ABB with an A in the EPQ". You could also look at combined degrees like Geology and Geography.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions!
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Esimm03)
Hi,
I've recently been thinking a lot about what I want to do career-wise, and I have developed an interest in geology, it looks really good, and I really like the jobs it leads into, and I think it is what I would like to do for my degree, However, When I started sixth form, I wanted to go down the politics/history route, thus chose subjects tailored around that. I'm currently studying Geography, History and English lit, alongside an EPQ on the topic of the Chinese Government's handling of SARS. Most Geology courses that I find online require two science subjects, and I only have one.

Could anyone recommend any courses I could look into that require one or no science subjects to study geology, without a foundation year? The grades I am aiming for are AAAB (A in English, geog, and epq, and a B in history)

And is there anything I can do to demonstrate an adequate interest in the subject, that might help my uni application? (I'm thinking about applying to become a Junior Candidate fellow of the Royal Geological Society, alongside MOOCs on fundamental Geology)

Finally, What's the difference between earth sciences and Geology? from what I gather Earth sciences also include the atmosphere, oceans, and processes under the surface, whereas geology focuses primarily on rocks? I'm thinking of going onto planetary geology, so would Earth sciences also be a possible entry into that field?

Thanks,
Ethan
Looks like a few places offer Earth sciences with a foundation year. Liverpool is one. The OU I believe offers Earth Sciences and they have no entry criteria at all. Alternatively, you could do a fast track A level in a year or just switch A level subjects.
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Looking into it a bit further, seems that a few places will accept geography for their science requirement. Looks like Birmingham would accept your A level combination as is.
danig100
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Cardiff accepts one science subject
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Why is a foundation year not at option? Could you take a year out and take maths A level?
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Esimm03)
Hi,

Thanks,
Ethan
Hi Esimm03

We offer Geology Course at Hull, but I would suggest contacting our admissions team to enquire whether the subjects which you study are accepted to meet the entry requirements of BBB.
Details of our course can be found on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...ology-bsc-hons

I would also use UCAS as a search platform for courses which other universities offer and check directly on their websites for their entry requirements

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
70.13%
In the post (3)
3.9%
Text (10)
12.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
12.99%

Watched Threads