Systematic racism/White privilege

Watch
RealLifeJoker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Do you believe systematic racism/White privilege? I want you to give an honest opinion on that because where I stand on is I’m not entirely sure.

If you’re Black (like me) or any ethnic minority group you’d have it harder when it comes to physical attraction from the opposite, you’re more likely to get turned away from the nightclub because of your skin colour, you’re less desirable when it comes to modelling, same I could say about the western media especially in the entertainment industry.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm sure there will be various acts of discrimination. You only have to look at statistics like crime and punishment, education, wealth and employment to see that certain sections of society appear to be disproportionately affected compared to others. Whether that can be put simply down to racism is very difficult to answer.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Recent Government stats show it is disadvantaged young people from white British backgrounds who are the least likely to access higher education, with only 1 in 10 of the poorest attending university, compared to 3 in 10 for black Caribbean children, 5 in 10 for Bangladeshis and nearly 7 in 10 amongst lowest income Chinese students.

And I'm a white F, but wouldn't have made a mainstream catwalk model because I'm a size 12-14. The only people I've seen turned away from nightclubs were white drunk males and females, never anyone for skin colour and yes, I have been out in groups with ethnic minorities. I'm not saying there isn't racism, but not all acts or exclusions are racist.
TheStarboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RealLifeJoker)
Do you believe systematic racism/White privilege? I want you to give an honest opinion on that because where I stand on is I’m not entirely sure.

If you’re Black (like me) or any ethnic minority group you’d have it harder when it comes to physical attraction from the opposite, you’re more likely to get turned away from the nightclub because of your skin colour, you’re less desirable when it comes to modelling, same I could say about the western media especially in the entertainment industry.
Didn't you say you were mixed race?
TheStarboy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Recent Government stats show it is disadvantaged young people from white British backgrounds who are the least likely to access higher education, with only 1 in 10 of the poorest attending university, compared to 3 in 10 for black Caribbean children, 5 in 10 for Bangladeshis and nearly 7 in 10 amongst lowest income Chinese students.

And I'm a white F, but wouldn't have made a mainstream catwalk model because I'm a size 12-14. The only people I've seen turned away from nightclubs were white drunk males and females, never anyone for skin colour and yes, I have been out in groups with ethnic minorities. I'm not saying there isn't racism, but not all acts or exclusions are racist.
But aren't they also getting abused by the police? What about classism? Police brutality isn’t only a black thing either. It's a rich versus poor thing. It's the same reason why people of low income whether a BAME or white background are discriminated.
username4313572
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mmm I'm white and I would say that I have never experienced racism (like comments but not racism ya know). It's dumb that that is considered a privilege 🙁 (dumb as in wtf is wrong with people who pick on people because of skin colour)
shwan234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

There will always be racism in every society you go to, but imo to say racism is built into our institutions and justice system is not true. One point I would like to stress is that,yes, the recent killing of George Flyod is an outrage, but to say that the whole police force is systematically racist is stretching the truth. Statistically, only 3 unarmed black people in 2019 who did not flee were killed by the police in the US, the figure is higher for whites and other minorities. And that number has steadily reduced over the years. It just angers me that we are seeing innocent police officers get shot or killed in the recent days because of the actions of a few policemen that do not represent the entire police force.
RealLifeJoker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStarboy)
Didn't you say you were mixed race?
In society you get seen as Black and I look more Black than White
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

The reason why a lot of white working class boys fail in education is a lack of motivation and parental pressure. It has been proven that parents from minority backgrounds hold a higher value on education.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I believe that white privilege exists, at least to an extent. I have the luxury of avoiding prejudice because I am white; a lot of people, particularly black and asian people, will be unfairly judged because of their skin colour.

While it isn't so much a "white" privilege, the fact that I have a very typical British name means my CV is more likely to receive a positive response from an employer than someone who is equally qualified but has a non-British name.
moso2203
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
re: white working class students

FSM white students underachieve in pretty much all measures - age 5, 11, and 16 - compared to FSM ethnic students (who also underachieve, but not as bad)

throughout schooling, FSM ethnic students make substantially more progress compared to their white counterparts

i suppose less of a focus is given on this because white FSM students make a smaller % compared to black or asian. age 5 to 16 FSM % :
black african 39%
bangladeshi 36%
pakistani 26%
white british 16%
indian / chinese 9%

and also ethnic minorities are more likely to live in deprived areas and there's higher levels of socioeconomic deprivation amongst that group compared to white british group as a whole

but yeah it is definitely a matter of concern - bangladeshi students are one of the most socioeconomically deprived groups, yet they now outperform FSM white british students

according to mary-claire travens, the reason for this might be
“Thus, it could be argued that the ‘habitus’ of the school positions white working-class males as ‘deficit’ and as ‘not academic’, and this view underpins everything that takes place”

ik this is unrelated to the thread but i'm doing my epq on this so i was a bit eager to share :lol:

bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shwan234)
There will always be racism in every society you go to, but imo to say racism is built into our institutions and justice system is not true. One point I would like to stress is that,yes, the recent killing of George Flyod is an outrage, but to say that the whole police force is systematically racist is stretching the truth. Statistically, only 3 unarmed black people in 2019 who did not flee were killed by the police in the US, the figure is higher for whites and other minorities. And that number has steadily reduced over the years. It just angers me that we are seeing innocent police officers get shot or killed in the recent days because of the actions of a few policemen that do not represent the entire police force.
The Macpherson report actually concluded that the UK police force was systematically racist
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No - I don't believe that in the UK it is 'systematic'

Yes - I do believe that minority groups face a harder time than white people in many areas..

--

I get annoyed though by the use of 'systematic'. Its become a buzzword that's thrown around by people who don't actually consider what it means. There is no system, plan or methodical thought scheme behind racial disparity in the UK. Our systems are not skewed in any observable way towards any race.. in fact they go out of their way to be as equal as possible. But that doesn't mean the outcomes are equal.

In reality, in the UK you have 3 big things that contribute to the disparity between races, all are problems.. but none should be accurately described as 'systematic':

1. Racist people who hold views about racial supremacy.. This is obviously the most serious thing, but its also the smallest in number. Not many of them still exist, and those that do tend to be older. Its awful when a minority person encounters hate speech or discrimination at the hands of one of these people, but they are the exception not the rule, and many of them are dying away... (Nothing systematic about this)

2. Majority Bias.. This is the simple psychological effect that promotes a bias towards commonality within groups. Its easily observable in all aspects of our life, and examples of it racial would be things like a black person applying for a job in an all-white small business. There is a subconscious (if its not subconscious the person is problem no.1) bias towards the norm, the familiar or the majority, that means that its harder for that person to be accepted, and either get the job or feel welcome when they have the job. (There is nothing systematic about this either, its just something that will reduce naturally as awareness about it increases and minorities grow in number.)

3. Legacy wealth disparity.. This doesn't just affect minorities, but all 'poorer' people. Right now in the way our society is set up, there is a huge skew in favour of people who have assets and wealth, not just income. They are instantly ahead from the moment they are born, and will do far better in life then a person without their assets but equivilant competancy. For BAME communities, thanks to past discriination, many haven't built up the same assets/wealth as white people, so they get stuck with poorer life chances. Its a problem that takes generations and generations to solve, and even if you make things 100% equal today (as they mostly are) you will need to wait decades and decades until the problems of the past filter through, if they ever do at all. (This again isn't systematic.. it was in the past, you could call it the legacy of systematic racism.. but its not systematic today)

---

So the point is...

Do we have problems... yes. Do minorities have a harder time... yes.

But is it best described as 'systematic' ?

no.

That removes a lot of the nuance and detail from the debate, and obscures the real problems behind a myth of systems and methods that are controling things behind the scenes..
jasper816
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm white and I totally think that white privilege exists. It doesn't mean that everyone who is white has a perfect life but it just means that the colour of my skin has never been the problem.
Last edited by jasper816; 4 weeks ago
Khanthebrit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I believe the issue stems from class privilege. Privilege is determined by wealth. The more money you got, the greater amount of privilege you can access.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
The Macpherson report actually concluded that the UK police force was systematically racist
21 years ago...
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
I believe that white privilege exists, at least to an extent. I have the luxury of avoiding prejudice because I am white; a lot of people, particularly black and asian people, will be unfairly judged because of their skin colour.

While it isn't so much a "white" privilege, the fact that I have a very typical British name means my CV is more likely to receive a positive response from an employer than someone who is equally qualified but has a non-British name.
(Original post by moso2203)
re: white working class students

FSM white students underachieve in pretty much all measures - age 5, 11, and 16 - compared to FSM ethnic students (who also underachieve, but not as bad)

throughout schooling, FSM ethnic students make substantially more progress compared to their white counterparts

i suppose less of a focus is given on this because white FSM students make a smaller % compared to black or asian. age 5 to 16 FSM % :
black african 39%
bangladeshi 36%
pakistani 26%
white british 16%
indian / chinese 9%

and also ethnic minorities are more likely to live in deprived areas and there's higher levels of socioeconomic deprivation amongst that group compared to white british group as a whole

but yeah it is definitely a matter of concern - bangladeshi students are one of the most socioeconomically deprived groups, yet they now outperform FSM white british students

according to mary-claire travens, the reason for this might be
“Thus, it could be argued that the ‘habitus’ of the school positions white working-class males as ‘deficit’ and as ‘not academic’, and this view underpins everything that takes place”

ik this is unrelated to the thread but i'm doing my epq on this so i was a bit eager to share :lol:
Most white working class boys don't work hard enough to achieve. It's not about attention.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
21 years ago...
Doesn't make it completely irrelevant.
RosieCuttler736
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

yes we can see it through out history, especially the British stripping people of colour from there privallege, and in today we can see it in places like america, where some places to vote you need a gun license except people from poor black working class backgrounds dont have gun licenses and the locations of voting places arent found in poor areas, so people have to travel ridiculous distances, and there are so many examples of this even in todays age
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Doesn't make it completely irrelevant.
Most people on this site weren't even alive back then.. YouTube didn't exist, smartphones weren't around, mass migration had only just begun and wasn't even a talking point.. if you said 'google' to someone on the street, they wouldn't know what it meant... etc. etc. its a long time ago.

64/70 of the reports recommendations were implemented in the first 10 years, and the police force is radically different to how it used to be today.

It may well still have problems, as all organizations do.. but if your looking to find problems today, by using a 21 year old report.. your going to have a hard time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads