Soph975
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm choosing my a levels and so far i've chosen English Lit and history. After sixth form, i would like to study law as a degree. I was considering doing a level German, but i'm quite reluctant to choose it because of how hard it's meant to be. In my Feb mocks, i got an 8 in German, but i've heard that the A Level is a world away from GCSE. Any advice on this?
Also, i'm going to be starting with 4 subjects then dropping my least favourite. Which subjects would be the most suitable for law at Russel group unis out of: geography, economics, politics, psychology and German? (bearing in mind that i'm definite on A Level English lit and history.) All of these subjects sound interesting to me, so i'm struggling to decide!
Last edited by Soph975; 5 months ago
laila777
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
german is hard
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Soph975)
I'm choosing my a levels and so far i've chosen English Lit and history. After sixth form, i would like to study law as a degree. I was considering doing a level German, but i'm quite reluctant to choose it because of how hard it's meant to be. In my Feb mocks, i got an 8 in German, but i've heard that the A Level is a world away from GCSE. Any advice on this?
Also, i'm going to be starting with 4 subjects then dropping my least favourite. Which subjects would be the most suitable for law at Russel group unis out of: geography, economics, politics, psychology and German? (bearing in mind that i'm definite on A Level English lit and history.) All of these subjects sound interesting to me, so i'm struggling to decide!
Hey! I didn't fo A-Level German specifically but I took A-Level French, and I'd say go for it! There is a bit of a jump from GCSE to A-Level languages but this is the same for every A-Level. My sixth form only accepted people who had got a grade 6 or above in GCSE languages to continue studying them at A-Level so if you got a grade 8 in your February mocks you have nothing to worry about. Languages have a reputation for being much harder at A-Level because before the 9-1 reforms the GCSE papers gave little to no support for those wanting to study it at A-Level. As long as you work hard and do your best to immerse yourself in the language outside the classroom A-Level languages are really fun and extremely satisfying as you're able to confidently communicate in the target language by the end of the course! For law, most universities aren't too fussed about what A-Levels you pick. History and English Lit are brilliant as they're both seen as facilitating subjects and help to improve the analytical and writing skills that law courses usually look for. You'd be able to keep your options open with German though as some universities run Law with German Law courses (qualifying LLB) which include a year abroad and further improve your German speaking skills as well as providing you with knowledge of the German legal system. If you're still struggling to decide on the third option I would say both politics or economics are also a great fit for law, but at the end of the day the A-Levels that you will perform best in are the ones that you are the most interested in, and grades are probably the most important factor that universities are looking for.
Last edited by aconstanthamlet; 4 months ago
Soph975
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by aconstanthamlet)
Hey! I didn't fo A-Level German specifically but I took A-Level French, and I'd say go for it! There is a bit of a jump from GCSE to A-Level languages but this is the same for every A-Level. My sixth form only accepted people who had got a grade 6 or above in GCSE languages to continue studying them at A-Level so if you got a grade 8 in your February mocks you have nothing to worry about. Languages have a reputation of being much harder at A-Level because before the 9-1 reforms the GCSE papers gave little to no support for those wanting to study it at A-Level. As long as you work hard and do your best to immerse yourself in the language outside the classroom A-Level languages are really fun and extremely satisfying as you're able to confidently communicate in the target language by the end of the course! For law, most universities aren't too fussed about what A-Levels you pick. History and English Lit are brilliant as they're both seen as facilitating subjects and help to improve the analytical and writing skills that law courses usually look for. You'd be able to keep your options open with German though as some universities run Law with German Law courses (qualifying LLB) which include a year abroad and further improve your German speaking skills as well as providing you with knowledge of the German legal system. If you're still struggling to decide on the third option I would say both politics or economics are also a great fit for law, but at the end of the day the A-Levels that you will perform best in are the ones that you are the most interested in, and grades are probably the most important factor that universities are looking for.
Thank you! I think I might go for German as one of them, as I did thoroughly enjoy the GCSE and I love the idea of studying a language alongside law!
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you! I think I might go for German as one of them, as I did thoroughly enjoy the GCSE and I love the idea of studying a language alongside law!
That's brilliant to hear! It's definitely worth a shot. All the best
theidealteacher
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All the advice above is really good. If you got an 8 in your gcse mocks, it seems like you’ve definitely got the level to do well at A-Level! There is definitely a jump so the more you can read, write, listen to etc the better over the break. Read blogs, watch YouTube vids, listen to podcasts or short news clips. You could also stream TV shows online (try VOX which has light hearted, easy to follow shows). If you need any extra help, feel free to ask. Thanks, Sabina
lol2468
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, look all A levels are hard so there is no point in saying German is hard. If you are willing to put the effort it then definetly take it because I do and I love the subject!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads