The Student Room Group

What's my father's problem?

He is the same guy who called me a coward for not talking to the neighbours other accidentally spilt water and when he clapped his hand I thought it was over the top.

-I worked yesterday and he said what about job seekers allowance then he started having a go at me saying THAT'S IF they phone you to work on saturday and sunday. Will he give it a grip?

-Then he said some others things to talk politely when he said I have to go on the phone and I go to the shop to get stuff.

-Then he started complain that he's struggling for years. I have a sister who lives in the house working in a £20k marketing job for 8 years and he has never contributed once I have, paying bill, petrol, sky tv.

He has quit his job, but just negative does he have to be? I'm doing all the chores, so is my sister, I'm contributing, my sister should too, but he's quit his job.
Original post by Anonymous
He is the same guy who called me a coward for not talking to the neighbours other accidentally spilt water and when he clapped his hand I thought it was over the top.

-I worked yesterday and he said what about job seekers allowance then he started having a go at me saying THAT'S IF they phone you to work on saturday and sunday. Will he give it a grip?

-Then he said some others things to talk politely when he said I have to go on the phone and I go to the shop to get stuff.

-Then he started complain that he's struggling for years. I have a sister who lives in the house working in a £20k marketing job for 8 years and he has never contributed once I have, paying bill, petrol, sky tv.

He has quit his job, but just negative does he have to be? I'm doing all the chores, so is my sister, I'm contributing, my sister should too, but he's quit his job.

he's obviously toxic and using you guys if he isn't helping with bills and stuff, regardless if he's your father he shouldn't get any special treatment, and he's acting like a child, i say stand up for yourself!
Reply 2
Original post by behopeful235
he's obviously toxic and using you guys if he isn't helping with bills and stuff, regardless if he's your father he shouldn't get any special treatment, and he's acting like a child, i say stand up for yourself!

I meant my sister hasn't contributed or pay bills stuff etc.
ohhhh, my mistake soz, well if she didn't contribute tell that she could at least help you,especially if she has a good job like that.

Like @behopeful235 has said, he is toxic. I have a similar situation to you as well where my father is just as toxic and acts like a child.
After standing up for myself and a couple full blown arguments I completely stopped speaking to him. And I don't think I ever will anymore. Some people will just never change ig. I don't wish this upon nobody because it's a horrible experience and everyone should deserve a loving father. But there's times where you need to get negative people out of your life, they are not worth your time no matter who they are. I really do hope things work out for you.
Like @behopeful235 has said, he is toxic. I have a similar situation to you as well where my father is just as toxic and acts like a child.
After standing up for myself and a couple full blown arguments I completely stopped speaking to him. And I don't think I ever will anymore. Some people will just never change ig. I don't wish this upon nobody because it's a horrible experience and everyone should deserve a loving father. But there's times where you need to get negative people out of your life, they are not worth your time no matter who they are. I really do hope things work out for you.

I take back what I said because I think your situation is quite different.
I take back what I said because I think your situation is quite different.

personally i don't think this any of my business but could you're father be suffering from depression, he seems to be negative as you said and rather irritable meaning he was quite irritated most of the time? as i said none of my business and i apologise if i've over stepped boundaries
personally i don't think this any of my business but could you're father be suffering from depression, he seems to be negative as you said and rather irritable meaning he was quite irritated most of the time? as i said none of my business and i apologise if i've over stepped boundaries

No problem, I don't mind sharing it at all. No need to apologise. Thanks for asking even because I was quite vague on my original post.
We would be hear all day long if I was to mention the entire story lol but to sum up. I studied his behaviour a lot and did a lot of research about it before and talked about it with many people who experience similar problems and the problem with him was that he 100% suffers from NPD (or simply put he is a narcissist). This is what essentially makes him "toxic" and when I learned more and more about other people that also had experiences with narcissists and videos of psychologists talking about them.

I realised one ultimate point... and that is I realised that narcissistic people never change. And that is why my relationship with him is completely gone because however much turns, twists and turmoil you go through with a narcissist, it all comes down to one solution. And that is just to leave them be unfortunately. Any person that I've heard from that has suffered with a narcissist (whether that's family or friends) has all done the exact same thing.. From hearing a lot of other people's experiences, it makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one who's had this. I feel for anyone that has to go through the same thing. It's sad when I see people with loving and supportive fathers because it just makes me wish I had one but that's just life I guess. We can't have everything in life but oh well. I just keep calm and carry on moving forwards no matter what.
No problem, I don't mind sharing it at all. No need to apologise. Thanks for asking even because I was quite vague on my original post.
We would be hear all day long if I was to mention the entire story lol but to sum up. I studied his behaviour a lot and did a lot of research about it before and talked about it with many people who experience similar problems and the problem with him was that he 100% suffers from NPD (or simply put he is a narcissist). This is what essentially makes him "toxic" and when I learned more and more about other people that also had experiences with narcissists and videos of psychologists talking about them.

I realised one ultimate point... and that is I realised that narcissistic people never change. And that is why my relationship with him is completely gone because however much turns, twists and turmoil you go through with a narcissist, it all comes down to one solution. And that is just to leave them be unfortunately. Any person that I've heard from that has suffered with a narcissist (whether that's family or friends) has all done the exact same thing.. From hearing a lot of other people's experiences, it makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one who's had this. I feel for anyone that has to go through the same thing. It's sad when I see people with loving and supportive fathers because it just makes me wish I had one but that's just life I guess. We can't have everything in life but oh well. I just keep calm and carry on moving forwards no matter what.

well i'm glad i could help in any way that i did, and it's good that you did research, maybe get him some help to manage his npd but get a professional diagnosis of it first tho
well i'm glad i could help in any way that i did, and it's good that you did research, maybe get him some help to manage his npd but get a professional diagnosis of it first tho

That's the issue with people with npd, they don't know that they have it (however many times you tell them). Because of their disorder and the way they think, they will always think that they are perfect no matter what you say. They are always reluctant to change. That's why I said a person with NPD will never change. It's why everyone who's had experiences with NPD people end up just leaving them be. It comes down to that because there is no other solution. NPD is an absolute toxic disorder to come across.

Already tried many times back in the day to make him get seen by a professional and get it sorted out. Just a little example: if you was to say to someone with NPD to have them checked out. They will say "What do you mean? You should check yourself out instead". See what I mean. Just sad.
That's the issue with people with npd, they don't know that they have it (however many times you tell them). Because of their disorder and the way they think, they will always think that they are perfect no matter what you say. They are always reluctant to change. That's why I said a person with NPD will never change. It's why everyone who's had experiences with NPD people end up just leaving them be. It comes down to that because there is no other solution. NPD is an absolute toxic disorder to come across.

Already tried many times back in the day to make him get seen by a professional and get it sorted out. Just a little example: if you was to say to someone with NPD to have them checked out. They will say "What do you mean? You should check yourself out instead". See what I mean. Just sad.

i'm very sorry about the situation you're in
i'm very sorry about the situation you're in

Awww thank you so much. Don't worry, I'm not too bothered about it anymore. That's why I've moved on a long time ago. Situations like this have made me emotionally numb sadly anyway so I don't feel much about it even if the odd thought comes across my mind.
I just feel sorry for all the people that are putting up with people like that. Well at-least now you know what to do if you ever do come across one. But I hope to god you or anyone never does.
Awww thank you so much. Don't worry, I'm not too bothered about it anymore. That's why I've moved on a long time ago. Situations like this have made me emotionally numb sadly anyway so I don't feel much about it even if the odd thought comes across my mind.
I just feel sorry for all the people that are putting up with people like that. Well at-least now you know what to do if you ever do come across one. But I hope to god you or anyone never does.

Thank you xx
Thank you xx

:heart:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending