The Student Room Group

A level choices

I want to go into International relations and was wondering whether geography, economics and french is a suitable combination o not?
Original post by natsanford
I want to go into International relations and was wondering whether geography, economics and french is a suitable combination o not?

That looks good, you should take a look at uni requirements and see if any subjects are required/recommended but I think your choices are fine.
Reply 2
I would recommend either politics or history, but those options would be good choices as well :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
No A level is required for international relations that I remember so your combination is suitable. I recommend researching though since its worth being sure but I dont think there is any requirements
Original post by natsanford

it's a perfectly good combo - of course A level Politics will be slightly more useful than Economics but it won't matter. however later on in life you might regret not taking Spanish as it's generally regarded as a more useful language than French
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it's a perfectly good combo - of course A level Politics will be slightly more useful than Economics but it won't matter. however later on in life you might regret not taking Spanish as it's generally regarded as a more useful language than French

Assuming OP has only done French thus far, might be wise to stick with it than learning Spanish fresh during A level. I'm not sure how easy it is in England to choose a language that you've never studied before for A level, even if you've done a similar language prior.

@natsanford Your subject choices look great. You won't have a problem getting into a single British university, including prestigious ones like Oxbridge, to study IR with those subjects. As other posters have mentioned, you could consider replacing one of your subjects with either Politics or History just to give you a slight taster of what it might be like to study IR at university, but it's not necessary whatsoever. If you really enjoy your current chosen subjects and think that they'll get you the best possible grades, stick with them. If, however, you're not too bothered about replacing one of them, then feel free to consider that option as well. :rambo:

Quick Reply