The Student Room Group

gsce homeschooling

My daughter wants to leave her mainstream school to do homeschooling but she is about to join year 10 this September and I'm not sure if it is good for GCSEs can you give me some advice on what I should to
Original post by happinessdreams2
My daughter wants to leave her mainstream school to do homeschooling but she is about to join year 10 this September and I'm not sure if it is good for GCSEs can you give me some advice on what I should to

Homeschooling is hard.
Are there any specific reasons why she wants to be homeschooled? Is there anything you could change to make her feel more enthusiastic about going to school?
She says that she is struggling with the mainstream school and being bullied quite a lot

It's not a great idea - how has she got on this term with studying at home?

What are her future aims? Some GCSEs are very difficult to find online teaching for.

What are her issues with going to school?
she has really enjoyed and found it easy

she's not sure what she wants to do

she is getting bullied and finding it really hard
talk to the school about the bullying and tell the teachers she finds it hard maybe they can move her down a set or allow her to drop a GCSE

Why hasn't she mentioned this bullying before? It sounds like an excuse to me - most schools are really hot on stamping out bullying.

Get her back to school and sort the issues out -

Could you she try going to a new school? OR could you talk to the school to see if they can make any adjustments for her?

Does she struggle with anxiety? She may not want to go back due to covid-19. If this is the case (and you still want her to go to school) show her the statistics in relation to (a) the chance of a young person catching it (b) the likely hood of a young person becoming ill from it. You should also ask the school to give her information on exactly what measures they are putting in place to lower the risk of infection.

Basically (to do a-Levels) she needs at least 5 GCSEs. She must have English and Maths. She also should do at least one science iGCSE, if she is unsure of whether she wants to do science in the future, its best if she does iGCSE combined sciences (it's worth 2 GCSEs so would allow her to then go on to do a-Level).
Due to being homeschooled, she will be unable to do GCSEs in English & Sciences with out it costing you alot money. Instead she needs to do 'IGCSEs'. They are almost universally accepted as being equal to GCSEs by UK colleges & universities
(edited 3 years ago)
As a person who’s done homeschooling (I’m going back to school next year) I suggest you ask her the reason for her decision. I convinced my parents to homeschool because I was emotional and wasn’t happy. It wasn’t the best decision.

You need to and her for the reasoning, why does she want to do homeschooling? Is there anyone bothering? Is she just saying that because she’s upset? You need to know the answers to these questions.

I did homeschooling and while it did have its perks, it wasn’t the best for me. Especially for someone who has been in school all their life. She could feel demotivated half the time, she might find it hard to adjust to the change.

So you really need to see why she wants to do homeschooling and see if she can motivate herself. Do the work all be herself. The thing about homeschooling is that you need to do it all by yourself, you don’t have teachers who see you everyday to tell you what to do. Also, she won’t have other students around her. Usually with students around the person, they could feel the competitiveness if they were to get a bad grade and everyone else got a good one. I hope this makes.

So you need to see if she can adjust to homeschooling. I did it and although I liked some parts I prefer going back to school. So many things you have to consider, like her social life, whether she’s responsible or not.

I hope this helps.
Reply 9
Hi I just came across this thread. My siblings have been homeschooled since mid year 7. It was because they didn't like the school and we put them in the best of the best where we live. The pros about homeschooling - you gain independence learn more than you would at a mainstream school. The how- you need a timetable and the material. There are many self explanatory books out there. If IGCSE is hard within certain subjects she should select GCSE. There are tutors you could find but there is also online schooling which she can join. If your child is NOT the type to work and do as she says then it's better to mainstream but I would give it a shot.
Original post by username5308092

There are lots of online courses available through lots of different private companies that you could consider using to assist with homeschooling, for example I am studying A level sociology through ICS Learn. I am really enjoying it, the platform is well laid out and tutors can answer any questions and mark practice papers. Hope that helps.
Original post by username5308092

I did the exact same thing, in the middle of year 10. its hard. there is some getting used to but it is better for mental health when you are around people who don't want you to fail.

Quick Reply

Latest