Does anyone here NOT have Instagram?

Watch
anaindiemood
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Whilst most people around me seemed to get Instagram pretty young in maybe year 7 or year 8 I was pretty late to jump on the bandwagon and it wasn’t until late year 10 that I decided to download it. However after much deliberation I’ve finally made the plunge today and deleted my account for good. Whilst there’s parts of Instagram I like-being able to stay in touch with friends and family and almost turn your Instagram into a scrapbook which doesn’t damage over time like physical pictures the bad was starting to outweigh these good parts. I found myself basing my entire life around what would look good for my Instagram and whilst for a while I thought I was capturing memories by posting them I was actually spending so long trying to take perfect pictures that I ended up living through a screen and in fact not experiencing anything. The way I started to think had started to become damaging for my mental health, the beauty standards set out seemed impossible for me to reach and with a history of an eating disorder it wasn’t doing me any good. I hate the way people edit their photos to be perceived in a certain way which just sets such unrealistic standards for so many people, but I can’t say I’m not guilty of editing my photos either-There’s so much pressure to look like you’re living a perfect life it’s honestly tiring. The way in which I’d try to time my post so I’d get the most likes and then start to worry if the likes hadn’t exceeded a certain number an hour in was just becoming unhealthy.

Although I’ll miss parts of Instagram I’ve just decided it’s making me miserable and setting out standards which tbh are ridiculous and I’m really not living my life if my Instagram appearance is my greatest concern. Anyone else feel this way?!
Last edited by anaindiemood; 1 year ago
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To answer your question, no I don't have Instagram. It also has nothing to do with the people who use the app. I just prefer not to have it or use the platform.
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
Whilst most people around me seemed to get Instagram pretty young in maybe year 7 or year 8 I was pretty late to jump on the bandwagon and it wasn’t until late year 10 that I decided to download it. However after much deliberation I’ve finally made the plunge today and deleted my account for good. Whilst there’s parts of Instagram I like-being able to stay in touch with friends and family and almost turn your Instagram into a scrapbook which doesn’t damage over time like physical pictures the bad was starting to outweigh these good parts. I found myself basing my entire life around what would look good for my Instagram and whilst for a while I thought I was capturing memories by posting them I was actually spending so long trying to take perfect pictures that I ended up living through a screen and in fact not experiencing anything. The way I started to think had started to become damaging for my mental health, the beauty standards set out seemed impossible for me to reach and with a history of an eating disorder it wasn’t doing me any good. I hate the way people edit their photos to be perceived in a certain way which just sets such unrealistic standards for so many people, but I can’t say I’m not guilty of editing my photos either-There’s so much pressure to look like you’re living a perfect life it’s honestly tiring. The way in which I’d try to time my post so I’d get the most likes and then start to worry if the likes hadn’t exceeded a certain number an hour in was just becoming unhealthy.

Although I’ll miss parts of Instagram I’ve just decided it’s making me miserable and setting out standards which tbh are ridiculous and I’m really not living my life in my appearance on Instagram is my greatest concern. Anyone else feel this way?!
I don’t have instagram, snapchat or ticktoc ( I can’t spell it oml 😂)and I’m just chilling fine 😜
username5304322
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have it but only use it for group chats and messages
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t have any social media either.

I feel like TSR is somewhat close to social media so do I count that?
RebeccaTSR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't have it.
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I don’t have any social media either.

I feel like TSR is somewhat close to social media so do I count that?
I mean TSR is social so close enough!!😛
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonbow)
I don’t have instagram, snapchat or ticktoc ( I can’t spell it oml 😂)and I’m just chilling fine 😜
Woohooo🙌🏼😂
username5288932
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i have never had social media

bluemuffin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t have insta, honestly feel like I’m the only one without it haha
StarGirlie12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have it but use it so little I might aswell not have it. Its mainly for convenience for when I want to look at something and it requires to be logged in. I actually just hate the culture on there but now and then if you need to access a page to a company or something its useful.
Halfeti Rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't have insta because I don't want to..
Hoodlum123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't have any social media other than this and youtube. Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter etc make me cringe and are just plain boring.
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont have Instagram.

OP, I think you should delete it if you dont want it. Or just have an account for messaging and scrolling through other's accounts if you dont want to post anything.
Last edited by Foxehh; 1 year ago
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarGirlie12)
I have it but use it so little I might aswell not have it. Its mainly for convenience for when I want to look at something and it requires to be logged in. I actually just hate the culture on there but now and then if you need to access a page to a company or something its useful.
Yeah I agree! I’m just really not a fan of the way it’s become...however it still has a ton of uses so definitely no harm having an account!
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Although I’ll miss parts of Instagram I’ve just decided it’s making me miserable and setting out standards which tbh are ridiculous and I’m really not living my life if my Instagram appearance is my greatest concern. Anyone else feel this way?!
I don't have Instagram because Facebook owns whats-app.
username4247768
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont have a phone lol and I'm 17
confusedpeaches
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
deleted my socials around march/april ish
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia 123)
I dont have a phone lol and I'm 17
Nothing wrong with that!
Raptor Jesus
Report 1 year ago

i just use whatsapp to keep in touch with people from school and family
no stress
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (79)
27.24%
England (97)
33.45%
Belgium (25)
8.62%
Germany (37)
12.76%
Spain (5)
1.72%