Politics and ir vs politics and economics at university

Watch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and I'm unsure on what to take at university. I know I want to do something involving Politics but I'm not sure on what specific degree to do.

I'm torn between politics and international relations or politics and economics. I've heard that economics has high earning potentials and is probably best for me career wise but I'm not sure if I would be able to cope with the amount of maths involved as I haven't taken maths a level and only got a B in GCSE maths.

The subjects I take at A level are Politics, Economics and Psychology and I am predicted AAB. I know that I want to go to either Manchester, Newcastle or Birmingham based on the cities.

Any help on the differences between the subjects, the career prospects of the subjects and if I would be able to cope with the math of econ would be really appreciated.

(btw I'd also consider taking Politics on its own, or PPE)

Thanks
PPE_ist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 192633)
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and I'm unsure on what to take at university. I know I want to do something involving Politics but I'm not sure on what specific degree to do.

I'm torn between politics and international relations or politics and economics. I've heard that economics has high earning potentials and is probably best for me career wise but I'm not sure if I would be able to cope with the amount of maths involved as I haven't taken maths a level and only got a B in GCSE maths.

The subjects I take at A level are Politics, Economics and Psychology and I am predicted AAB. I know that I want to go to either Manchester, Newcastle or Birmingham based on the cities.

Any help on the differences between the subjects, the career prospects of the subjects and if I would be able to cope with the math of econ would be really appreciated.

Thanks
So I do PPE at Oxford and I chose politics and economics as my two branches for final exams (so dropped philosophy). And honestly, for me it was not the right move and I regret it. I did A-level maths (but not further maths) and really struggled with all the econ. So from my personal POV if you haven't done maths you might struggle with the economics. I think A-level economics is very different at least from Oxford economics (which is way more mathsy) and I think econ generally at uni. Plus IR sounds really interesting haha.

I decided to drop philosophy instead of econ because I thought it would help my career prospects. But I think unless you want to go into SPECIFICALLY economics, there's no reason to study that over something you find more interesting. Plenty of my friends studied philosophy and politics, or courses like history even, and work in banks or consultancy firms which are quite number-heavy jobs. Might make a difference that they were applying with the "Oxford name" but those 3 are all still good unis so don't see why it wouldn't apply to you if those are careers you wanted to pursue.

Just my advice and my experience with my university's course, but some stuff to think about!
omishas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 192633)
Hi,

Thanks
Hi! I'm an incoming IR student, just to let you know, you can study economics for Masters too since Pol+IR is interdisciplinary, not sure if you can do it viceversa. If you haven't taken Maths make sure to check if their course requirements include Maths, I believe it is a necessity with many courses.

Career prospects wise: you can go into Law, International Law, Economics, Banking and Finance, Journalism, Global Development (working with NGOs), Diplomacy bearing in mind that some of them may need Masters! A good mix of them all is International Political Economy. There may be some I have missed!
Last edited by omishas; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads