Feeling guilty for being white and moving on with normal life

Watch this thread
Jess.1819
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Now I know by all means this is not a big issue right now but I just wanted to know if anyone else feels this way?

I feel guilty continuing to plan my life and go on with normal daily life with all that’s going on with the BLM movement.

I have been reading up about racism, watched some of those donation YouTube videos (I don’t have any money I can spend at the moment as I need to save for university which also makes me feel guilty) and I plan to sign a ruck of positions today after learning some have made a difference (I didn’t believe they worked before).

So it’s not like I haven’t done anything but I just feel so guilty living my life like normal.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Being white is nothing to feel guilty for. The whole point of BLM is that nobody should be treated worse for something as trivial as skin color. If you're treating everyone you meet with dignity, respect and compassion regardless of their race, gender, religion, sexuality, income etc etc and you try to hold your friends/family/circle of influence to the same standard then you honestly have nothing to be guilty for imo
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
unless you killed a black man recently.. I think you'll be fine.

Just make a few posts about it on social media and share a few 'powerful' messages.. that seems to make most young guilty white people feel a bit better about themselves.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Dont feel guilty. A lot of people are doing the same thing as you.

As long as your not contributing to the problem, I think your fine
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
don’t feel guilty everyone else is moving on with their life too! as long as you’re not racist and are using your white privilege and acknowledging your privilege you should be fine
agirlcalledtheo
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Focus on yourself, and what your doing for the movement. Don't worry about what others are doing or what they think about how much you are putting towards it. Every little helps. You determine how much you think is enough, no one else can.
Ps. Ignore 'being silent is being on the side of the oppressor' You don't need to be constantly posting on social media to prove you are not racist. For me, I have watched some really interesting ted talks on the topic. https://www.ted.com/playlists/250/ta...u_understand_r to educate myself. and made a poster to hang on my window for the neighbourhood to see.
and for me thats enough.
Alesha1991
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jess.1819)
Now I know by all means this is not a big issue right now but I just wanted to know if anyone else feels this way?

I feel guilty continuing to plan my life and go on with normal daily life with all that’s going on with the BLM movement.

I have been reading up about racism, watched some of those donation YouTube videos (I don’t have any money I can spend at the moment as I need to save for university which also makes me feel guilty) and I plan to sign a ruck of positions today after learning some have made a difference (I didn’t believe they worked before).

So it’s not like I haven’t done anything but I just feel so guilty living my life like normal.
You really shouldn't feel guilty for who you are, your life circumstances or other things that are outside your control. I'm totally in favour of people standing up to racism and other injustice but I really don't like the whole rhetoric around 'white guilt', people apologizing for being white etc.
Jess.1819
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by agirlcalledtheo)
Focus on yourself, and what your doing for the movement. Don't worry about what others are doing or what they think about how much you are putting towards it. Every little helps. You determine how much you think is enough, no one else can.
Ps. Ignore 'being silent is being on the side of the oppressor' You don't need to be constantly posting on social media to prove you are not racist. For me, I have watched some really interesting ted talks on the topic. https://www.ted.com/playlists/250/ta...u_understand_r to educate myself. and made a poster to hang on my window for the neighbourhood to see.
and for me thats enough.
Thank you for the links to the ted talks, I’ll definitely check those out and the poster is a really nice idea.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

lmao, what? can't relate, i love my pale skin. 🙈
StarGirlie12
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i feel like the whole "being silent is betrayal" thing is calling out those who have seen racism happen before them and haven't done anything to stop it or spoken up, not innocent folk who geuinely care. I dont really get the whole constantly proving yourself on social media thing. a lot of good acts are done in secret and never posted about at all.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
You have nothing whatsoever to be guilty of. Don’t let the media and these protests make you feel that you’re a bad person because you’re white.
Raptor Jesus
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago

dont be guilty because ur white - feel good that u are supporting the BLM and are not against it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (27)
26.47%
As I expected (32)
31.37%
Harder (36)
35.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads