beyhive1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I'm a humanities graduate and was thinking of doing a masters in education studies. I was thinking of pursuing primary sch teaching so if i do a MA will it help me get into a primary PGCE.
I don't have any experience so i was thinking whilst i do a masters i can also do work experience in a school during the time which will help prepare me get accepted into the PGCE.

Is this a good idea? what do you think ?
thank you
rachelgw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you did your PGCE first, it should give to you 60 credits towards your MA Education. I would also imagine that doing MA Ed would be more beneficial once you have classroom experience, else it is all very theoretical.
beyhive1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by rachelgw)
If you did your PGCE first, it should give to you 60 credits towards your MA Education. I would also imagine that doing MA Ed would be more beneficial once you have classroom experience, else it is all very theoretical.
Okay I get that. However, i feel like I'm not ready to dive into a classroom just yet as I haven't done any work experience. I've heard how PGCE's are, you spend most of your time in the classroom so before applying for one I want to gain enough experience to be ready. At least whilst doing a masters I can brush up on some theory & work exp that would probs help me to prepare for a PGCE?
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by beyhive1)
Okay I get that. However, i feel like I'm not ready to dive into a classroom just yet as I haven't done any work experience. I've heard how PGCE's are, you spend most of your time in the classroom so before applying for one I want to gain enough experience to be ready. At least whilst doing a masters I can brush up on some theory & work exp that would probs help me to prepare for a PGCE?
Actually doing a PGCE (core) course as opposed to school direct, you spend quite a bit of time at uni initially. There's no expectation that you know the theory, that's what the PGCE is for to give you that knowledge.

The MA won't give you any work experience, unless you already work in a school and depending on your subject some courses are less competitive than others. I gained a place on a PGCE with 2 weeks experience and many on my course had a lot less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (136)
24.64%
Better than expected (121)
21.92%
Worse than expected (295)
53.44%

Watched Threads