Academic value in job finding (architecture)

Watch
Pdro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, Im an international student and I was planning to start a MArch at OXford Brookes this year but due to COVID-19 situation I will differ my offer for the next year. But I want to study something through this lockdown/waiting time.

My goal is to find a job in UK, and to apply for the post study work visa if I would need more time to a get a job.

Having said that, I want to study an online master this year and I have 2 options, one in UPC (Spain, but the course is in English) and on Univ of Westminster. Which would be more valuable into finding a job? Is is preferred to study in a uk univ?

I would really appreciate the advices of anyone
Cheers!!!
Last edited by Pdro; 5 months ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Pdro)
Hi, Im an international student and I was planning to start March at OXford Brookes this year but due to COVID-19 situation I will differ my offer for the next year. But I want to study something through this lockdown/waiting time.

My goal is to find a job in UK, and to apply for the post study work visa if I would need more time to a get a job.

Having said that, I want to study an online master this year and I have 2 options, one in UPC (Spain, but the course is in English) and on Univ of Westminster. Which would be more valuable into finding a job? Is is preferred to study in a uk univ?

I would really appreciate the advices of anyone
Cheers!!!
Be careful of gaining a Masters before a Bachelors degree, there are fee and/or visa issues than can occur if you already hold an equal or higher qualification.
Pdro
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Be careful of gaining a Masters before a Bachelors degree, there are fee and/or visa issues than can occur if you already hold an equal or higher qualification.
I already have a Bachelor degree and I have an unconditional offer for a Master course.😅
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Pdro)
I already have a Bachelor degree and I have an unconditional offer for a Master course.😅
Yes, but depending on how you are financed (EU student?) or whether you need a visa (Overseas student) you may not qualify for fees or a visa if you are coming to the UK to study for an equivalent qualification ie the MArch, if you have spent your gap year studying for another Masters. I'm not sure of the precise rules, it's not my situation. But I believe you could trip yourself up by getting a Masters while waiting for a year. I'm just advising you check it out.
Pdro
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Yes, but depending on how you are financed (EU student?) or whether you need a visa (Overseas student) you may not qualify for fees or a visa if you are coming to the UK to study for an equivalent qualification ie the MArch, if you have spent your gap year studying for another Masters. I'm not sure of the precise rules, it's not my situation. But I believe you could trip yourself up by getting a Masters while waiting for a year. I'm just advising you check it out.
I Appreciate your concern. I'm from Peru. I do qualify for a visa, I have an unconditional offer to MArchD at OBU, which I can defer for the next Year due to COVID-19 situation. My Bachelor degree in Peru is RIBA Part 1 accredited. So going to UK will be no a problem I think... but i will check it right now!

My specific question is related to an extra Master degree I will take from this Sep until next year before I start the course in OBU. I have also an unconditional offer to Univ of Westminster, for a 1 year Master course and I'm applying to a master in Spain about parametric design.
But I want to choose depending of which would be more valuable in UK, for finding a job: an British master or a Spanish master? 😅
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (807)
42.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads