The Student Room Group

What is the greatest football match you have seen?

I have to say AC Milan 3-3 Liverpool in 2005 , had everything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Liverpool 4- 0 Barcelona in May 2019, that was the best comeback after being beaten by Barcelona 3-0 in the first round.
Barnet 3 Hartlepool 2. A game with 12 minutes of injury time, and the slowest walk off the pitch ever from a Hartlepool player who was sent off.

There's a tale of a shipwreck in the 1790s by Hartlepool, where a French naval ship sunk, and the only survivor was the mascot, a monkey, who was put on trial and hung. Hence the people of Hartlepool being known as monkey hangers. One Barnet fan shouted to the player to 'hurry up, they hung the monkey quicker than this'.
one at school
Reply 4
Weat Ham 4 - 0 Man Utd
Original post by barnetlad
Barnet 3 Hartlepool 2. A game with 12 minutes of injury time, and the slowest walk off the pitch ever from a Hartlepool player who was sent off.

There's a tale of a shipwreck in the 1790s by Hartlepool, where a French naval ship sunk, and the only survivor was the mascot, a monkey, who was put on trial and hung. Hence the people of Hartlepool being known as monkey hangers. One Barnet fan shouted to the player to 'hurry up, they hung the monkey quicker than this'.

Very true, hence H'Angus the Monkey being the Pool's mascot.
I had the pleasure of a few visits to Underhill back in the day.
World Cup 2018
Tues July 10: France 1-0 Belgium - St Petersburg
The best what i seen last 20 year
Champions League - PSG vs Man United, because no one expected it
Barcelona 4-3 Real Madrid, 13/14, so many goals, cards, fights, all the action.
City vs QPR because I was there. But for just the quality of the football it has to be the 2011 CL final.
Ghana vs Uruguay 2010

Spain vs the Netherlands 2010

England vs Croatia 2018

Barcelona vs Madrid 2017 (3-2 Messi last minute).
aguerooooooo
Juventus 2-3 Man United (3-4 agg).

Pure drama and a beautiful ending. :smile:
Original post by Night Assassin
Champions League - PSG vs Man United, because no one expected it

Yea sameee, the house went DOWN when rashford scored that penalty
Also Man U vs Chelsea: 4-0
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by cloud_9_
aguerooooooo

Agreed, not only an amazing end to the match and season but you also had Joey Barton being the most Joey Barton he's ever been.

https://youtu.be/gOqJfRNFKic

And of course let's not forget the added bonus of this.

https://youtu.be/sK3ADEEEdXM

I love them Mackems for that.
liverpool 2005
a notable mention is 7-1 germany world cup
Luton 3 Blackpool 3 League Two play off semi final second leg 2017
(edited 3 years ago)
Watching my beloved Fulham, beating Aston Villa in the championship play off final, for a place in the premiership.
Original post by jumpman123
barcelona 4-3 real madrid, 13/14, so many goals, cards, fights, all the action.

“it’s lionel messiiii!”
Live: Arsenal games, a few Spurs ones linger in my memory as being classics but they are generally superb.

Other than this, I thought the 2018WC had some classics. Spain/Portugal 3-3 maybe the best of the bunch.

Quick Reply