The Student Room Group

The left is pushing people right

The left is making more people right. I used to be left but the left has become so intersectional and accusatory to anyone who doesn’t believe in their beliefs. The left is breeding resentment. The left breeds victim mentality which inherently causes more harm.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Examples?
Reply 2
Despite being grotesquely over generlising the op seems to have, if not a point, at least some of one. Although it seems more to be part of the general trend of polarising politics that pushes the centre out to the margins on both sides.
Original post by L_uddin
The left is making more people right. I used to be left but the left has become so intersectional and accusatory to anyone who doesn’t believe in their beliefs. The left is breeding resentment. The left breeds victim mentality which inherently causes more harm.

A lot of words yet little substance - typical right wing rhetoric.
Reply 4
The British left have, for quite a few years now, got looked like it gave a toss about winning elections. Increasingly, they have been speaking to their own bubble and left the rest of the country utterly baffled.

To win an election in this country, you don't have to seize the centre ground - but you do have to make a point of talking in the language of the broader spectrum of the public.
Reply 5
Could it not be argued though that all parties go through stages of polarisation? The Labour party has gone from New Labour to far left, and seems to be coming back to centre. The Conservatives are centre right (marginally). There seems to be a cycle of bouncing between far left and centre left (or the other way around for the Conservatives)
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Examples?

The whole concept of white privilege for starters. Any guess to which is the least privileged group in the uk?
People wanting to change how history is taught in the UK. People are now sending petitions that more minority history should be taught. This is the UK. Our history is white. You can’t say it is “whitewashed” if you wanted to study the history of every ethnic minority in the UK you would be at school 24/7. I myself am an immigrant. This country is so much better than my homeland. If you come here you should accept that this is the uk. It is very easy to learn your own history from the internet.
The use of the racism card when something doesn’t go someone’s way. “I didn’t get this job! It must be racism!”
The use of forced quotas regardless of someone’s merit is also an stupid policy.
The left tells people they can’t achieve things due to the colour of their skin.
Also the whole concept of institutional racism is a very poor argument. What evidence is there to say that the UK is institutional racist. The laws are the same for everyone. In fact you could argue that minority groups get away with more crime. Rotherham being an example. 2000 girls were raped but no one wanted to get involved for the fear of being called racist.
Original post by anon2.718
A lot of words yet little substance - typical right wing rhetoric.

Explain your argument.
Original post by Napp
Despite being grotesquely over generlising the op seems to have, if not a point, at least some of one. Although it seems more to be part of the general trend of polarising politics that pushes the centre out to the margins on both sides.

Arguable thé left generalises more. “All white people are racist” and down the rabbit hole you go
Reply 9
Not wholly inaccurate. They haven't pushed me right... I remain a boring centrist.... but I find the behaviour of a lot of left-wing 'activists' and supporters so repulsive that if I vote for Labour at the next election, I'll be the Labour equivalent of a 'Shy Tory'. No desire to be associated with such people.
He’s right. It’s a real mystery that labour didn’t win the last election when if you have an opposing view or a different opinion to a leftie, they accuse you of being a ‘fascist’. It’s a real mystery that if you don’t buy into their way of thinking, you are accused of being alt-right.
Reply 11
Original post by L_uddin
The whole concept of white privilege for starters. Any guess to which is the least privileged group in the uk?
People wanting to change how history is taught in the UK. People are now sending petitions that more minority history should be taught. This is the UK. Our history is white. You can’t say it is “whitewashed” if you wanted to study the history of every ethnic minority in the UK you would be at school 24/7. I myself am an immigrant. This country is so much better than my homeland. If you come here you should accept that this is the uk. It is very easy to learn your own history from the internet.
The use of the racism card when something doesn’t go someone’s way. “I didn’t get this job! It must be racism!”
The use of forced quotas regardless of someone’s merit is also an stupid policy.
The left tells people they can’t achieve things due to the colour of their skin.
Also the whole concept of institutional racism is a very poor argument. What evidence is there to say that the UK is institutional racist. The laws are the same for everyone. In fact you could argue that minority groups get away with more crime. Rotherham being an example. 2000 girls were raped but no one wanted to get involved for the fear of being called racist.

What seems problematic in this is that you say white people are the least privileged at the beginning, but as you go down the line you seem to imply that nobody is privileged. Pick one.
The thing is. I wouldn’t even be considered that right a few years back. I am pro-choice, I fully support LGBTQIA+. And I believe in more funding for the education system and the NHS. But the left is now attacking the native people in the UK. The hatred shown for the natives in this country is astounding
Original post by L_uddin
The thing is. I wouldn’t even be considered that right a few years back. I am pro-choice, I fully support LGBTQIA+. And I believe in more funding for the education system and the NHS. But the left is now attacking the native people in the UK. The hatred shown for the natives in this country is astounding

What's the IA in LGBTQIA? Just wondering
What seems problematic in this is that you say white people are the least privileged at the beginning, but as you go down the line you seem to imply that nobody is privileged. Pick one.

Honestly I believe no one is privileged. Privilege comes in the form of a stable household and your family having a good income and education. But the argument that the left uses that BAME is discriminated against has no standing considering the least well off group are working class white men. The left has betrayed the group it once represented and fought for
Original post by Hudds999
He’s right. It’s a real mystery that labour didn’t win the last election when if you have an opposing view or a different opinion to a leftie, they accuse you of being a ‘fascist’. It’s a real mystery that if you don’t buy into their way of thinking, you are accused of being alt-right.

Completely correct. You are either with them or you are marginalised
Original post by Megg1615
What's the IA in LGBTQIA? Just wondering

Intersex and Asexual :smile:
Original post by L_uddin
Intersex and Asexual :smile:

Ah, thanks :smile:
Original post by L_uddin
Honestly I believe no one is privileged. Privilege comes in the form of a stable household and your family having a good income and education. But the argument that the left uses that BAME is discriminated against has no standing considering the least well off group are working class white men. The left has betrayed the group it once represented and fought for

You like to oversimplify things. There is white privilege yes but class privilege and sex privilege is far greater imho.
I do think the left has forsaken economic issue in favor of social issues and this is a mistake. The fact that 99% of us are ****ed by capitalist pigs flies under the radar because the media shifts the focus of the narrative and the leaders representing labour fundamentally don't give a **** about the working class and only care about getting relected and furthering their own political career. Most labour politicans are posh nobs.

I also like how you ignored the rest of what I wrote

Quick Reply

Latest