Student Life in at UK Universities

Watch this thread
aliyago
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I'm an American student going into my senior year of highschool which in the UK, you refer to as year 13 I believe. Anyway, as I am not from the UK, I know very little about student life at the various unis I'm looking at. I really need to be at a university that either has a good sociable atmosphere where people drink, have parties, go to clubs, and such or at a university located in a city where this lifestyle is available. Side note, the universities still need to be very selective schools, like LSE and KCL, as it would only be worth it for me to go halfway across the world if I was going to a prime institution. Any suggestions to other universities that are fun as well as selective would be much appreciated. If this helps at all, I am also planning on being a social policy, international relations, or politics major. Also opinions on Durham University student life?

Thank You!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aliyago)
Hi! I'm an American student going into my senior year of highschool which in the UK, you refer to as year 13 I believe. Anyway, as I am not from the UK, I know very little about student life at the various unis I'm looking at. I really need to be at a university that either has a good sociable atmosphere where people drink, have parties, go to clubs, and such or at a university located in a city where this lifestyle is available. Side note, the universities still need to be very selective schools, like LSE and KCL, as it would only be worth it for me to go halfway across the world if I was going to a prime institution. Any suggestions to other universities that are fun as well as selective would be much appreciated. If this helps at all, I am also planning on being a social policy, international relations, or politics major. Also opinions on Durham University student life?

Thank You!
first of all, our unis have evolved not to be very selective because you pick a COURSE at a university, rather than what you do by picking a UNIVERSITY and then deciding on your major later on... you can wait 1 or 2 years to decide on your major in Scotland and that is part of the reason why i highly recommend you look at Scottish unis as the 4 year system is a half-way house between the US liberal arts system and 3 year English degrees where you only study 1 subject for all 3 years and have to drop out of uni if you change your mind.

if you want a good social life, avoid London. aside from that, all unis have a good social life but are on a scale of the more community-oriented tight-knit student atmospheres in smaller towns and the nightclub scenes in big cities
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
York
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I think London Met would be a perfect option for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (37)
26.24%
As I expected (46)
32.62%
Harder (51)
36.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.96%

Watched Threads