The Student Room Group

Boyfriend lost his driving licence

I live far away from my boyfriend, we’ve been together a year and a few months or so. The corona virus separation really affected us.. but we seem to be okay now. However. Recently he was caught speeding and is going to lose his driving licence. His mother screamed at him to the point she called him “fat, worthless, not good enough to be her son, barely a man etc etc” and it really affected him making him effectively want to disappear. Him losing his licence means a lot of things , escape from his home life is no longer possible, seeing his friends no longer possible,getting to work not very possible and seeing me also not very possible.

I know I can’t get angry at him for speeding, because of how devastated and upset he his over what his mum has said, but I am upset with him at the same time. And I have a lot of emotions around it that I can’t describe

You’re probably thinking “just get the bus and go see him” however I don’t earn any income and to get the bus to see him would cost around £20 a run, and plus , Yknow, the corona virus is making it quite unsafe to be on public transport too... so

I feel very disheartened about it all, this isn’t really a question it’s more a rant about what’s going on and ... yeah. Just a crappy situation. There’s a lot more going on other than that upsetting me , but that’s the newest one
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I live far away from my boyfriend, we’ve been together a year and a few months or so. The corona virus separation really affected us.. but we seem to be okay now. However. Recently he was caught speeding and is going to lose his driving licence. His mother screamed at him to the point she called him “fat, worthless, not good enough to be her son, barely a man etc etc” and it really affected him making him effectively want to disappear. Him losing his licence means a lot of things , escape from his home life is no longer possible, seeing his friends no longer possible,getting to work not very possible and seeing me also not very possible.

I know I can’t get angry at him for speeding, because of how devastated and upset he his over what his mum has said, but I am upset with him at the same time. And I have a lot of emotions around it that I can’t describe

You’re probably thinking “just get the bus and go see him” however I don’t earn any income and to get the bus to see him would cost around £20 a run, and plus , Yknow, the corona virus is making it quite unsafe to be on public transport too... so

I feel very disheartened about it all, this isn’t really a question it’s more a rant about what’s going on and ... yeah. Just a crappy situation. There’s a lot more going on other than that upsetting me , but that’s the newest one

How long did he have his licence for? :smile:
Reply 2

You can drive for him
Reply 3
Original post by Joshkav
How long did he have his licence for? :smile:

He’s just coming up to a year now so , probably around 11 months why?
Reply 4
Original post by Vantage
You can drive for him

Don't think the OP has a licence :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Vantage
You can drive for him

I don’t have my licence yet, as I am 16 and will be 17 this year , but idk if I’ll be learning to this year considering the big ok scary virus
Reply 6
Original post by Joshkav
Don't think the OP has a licence :smile:

Op learn to drive not only for this situation
Reply 7
I don’t have my licence yet, as I am 16 and will be 17 this year , but idk if I’ll be learning to this year considering the big ok scary virus

Ok
Reply 8
He’s just coming up to a year now so , probably around 11 months why?

You are only allowed 6 points in the first 2 years of passing your test (probationary period). So for him to lose his licence, he would of have to have been caught speeding twice (you get 3 points for speeding per offence, plus a fine). After 2 years, you are allowed 12 points on your licence. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Joshkav
You are only allowed 6 points in the first 2 years of passing your test (probationary period). So for him to lose his licence, he would of have to have been caught speeding twice (you get 3 points for speeding per offence, plus a fine). After 2 years, you are allowed 12 points on your licence. :smile:

He said that he was doing 45mph in a 30pmh zone and said that He would get 6 points for that... I’m confused
He said that he was doing 45mph in a 30pmh zone and said that He would get 6 points for that... I’m confused

From my knowledge, speeding is only 3 points and a fine. If he is losing his licence. He would have had to of been caught before or by speeding more over the speed limit than he is saying :smile:
Original post by Joshkav
From my knowledge, speeding is only 3 points and a fine. If he is losing his licence. He would have had to of been caught before or by speeding more over the speed limit than he is saying :smile:

😐 I s2g If he’s lying.

I thought it was if you do in a 30mph zone , between 31-41 mph you will get a fine and 3 points on your licence. 41-51mph you get 4-6 points and a fine and then 51mph + its 6 points definitely and a bigger fine
😐 I s2g If he’s lying.

I thought it was if you do in a 30mph zone , between 31-41 mph you will get a fine and 3 points on your licence. 41-51mph you get 4-6 points and a fine and then 51mph + its 6 points definitely and a bigger fine

Just a quick look online seems you are correct. Looking at it, he may get a possibility of 4 points, which will mean he won't lose licence, but he will have to admit what he did. State he knew what he was doing and knew it was wrong and he feels bad. Mau be let off with the lower end of points. But he will lose his licence if he gets caught again. If he was doing less than 40mph, he probably would of just got a speed awareness course no points, etc.

If he does get points, make sure he notifies his insurance. As they may cancel his policy if he doesn't declare the speeding points. Which he will have to declare on future policys, which will make his premiums higher. So better to just be honest :smile:
Did he get caught be a speeding camera?

Quick Reply

Latest