Emilygmonk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Does anyone have any advice on how to structure a 16 marker for pschyology?
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Assuming you're with AQA, there are two types that you could get. One will require application (AO2), one won't; it really just depends on whether you've been asked to address a scenario you're given or not.

If you don't need to use AO2, then you get 6 marks for AO1 (explanation) and 10 marks for AO3 (evaluation). If you do need to use AO2, then it's still 6 marks for AO1, but with 4 marks for AO2 and 6 marks for AO3.

You really want to separate all the AOs clearly so the examiner can see that you've explored them all, so don't move onto AO2 before you've finished your AO1. It can be tempting to mix them (you'll see what I mean if you don't already when you do some practice questions), but it truly does work best if you don't.

I don't usually advocate for PEEL (point, evidence, explanation, link) but it really works quite well for AO3 points if you're struggling. It's best to fully develop each point rather than list them, and by doing that you can probably get up to 4 marks per paragraph.

My usual structure is a moderate paragraph on AO1 as an introduction almost; this usually is done in more of a listing format, as you don't want to go off on a tangent, but you'll find which style works best for you if you do some practice questions. If the question wants AO2, I'd then start a new paragraph with two small points in it. Application in 16-markers really isn't too bad, just pick out two parts of the scenario that demonstrate the topic well and very briefly link them to the question. After that, I'd move onto your PEEL paragraphs for AO3 as I mentioned above. It's quite formuleic, and you might find it restricting after a while, but I'd recommend it as a starting point at the very least.

- AF
Emilygmonk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
Assuming you're with AQA, there are two types that you could get. One will require application (AO2), one won't; it really just depends on whether you've been asked to address a scenario you're given or not.

If you don't need to use AO2, then you get 6 marks for AO1 (explanation) and 10 marks for AO3 (evaluation). If you do need to use AO2, then it's still 6 marks for AO1, but with 4 marks for AO2 and 6 marks for AO3.

You really want to separate all the AOs clearly so the examiner can see that you've explored them all, so don't move onto AO2 before you've finished your AO1. It can be tempting to mix them (you'll see what I mean if you don't already when you do some practice questions), but it truly does work best if you don't.

I don't usually advocate for PEEL (point, evidence, explanation, link) but it really works quite well for AO3 points if you're struggling. It's best to fully develop each point rather than list them, and by doing that you can probably get up to 4 marks per paragraph.

My usual structure is a moderate paragraph on AO1 as an introduction almost; this usually is done in more of a listing format, as you don't want to go off on a tangent, but you'll find which style works best for you if you do some practice questions. If the question wants AO2, I'd then start a new paragraph with two small points in it. Application in 16-markers really isn't too bad, just pick out two parts of the scenario that demonstrate the topic well and very briefly link them to the question. After that, I'd move onto your PEEL paragraphs for AO3 as I mentioned above. It's quite formuleic, and you might find it restricting after a while, but I'd recommend it as a starting point at the very least.

- AF
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (701)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.64%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.45%

Watched Threads