AlanaKate93
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone. I am applying for nursing but I haven't got my maths GCSE. will this have an affect on my application? or is there an opportunity to study functional skills maths alongside nursing? would love to get some advice on this, thanks
Vam1970
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AlanaKate93)
Hi everyone. I am applying for nursing but I haven't got my maths GCSE. will this have an affect on my application? or is there an opportunity to study functional skills maths alongside nursing? would love to get some advice on this, thanks
I would email admissions as i thought it was a requirement.
I would check with UNI as I think some require a maths test instead to check your level of maths.
AlanaKate93
Rep:
Thank you. I’ve heard from a few friends that some just require a maths test but depends how strict the uni are. Thanks again
moosec
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Maths & English are requirements set by the Nursing & Midwifery Council. Some uni's will accept Maths Functional Skills Level 2 as an equivalent... but any offer of a place on a nursing course will be conditional on you achieving your GCSE/equivalent in Maths & English.

Having a quick browse at uni's entry req's, it seems like entry maths tests have been removed (from most uni's which previously had them anyway, such as City UOL, BCU and Kingston). BCU says: 'Numeracy and literacy tests are no longer a requirement for entry on to our Nursing and Midwifery degrees as you already need Level 2 qualifications in Mathematics/Numeracy and English/Literacy as part of the entry requirements.' The few uni's that still are running numeracy/literacy tests as part of their application procedures appear to run these before interview and in addition to their academic entry requirement for GCSE Maths (or equivalent if the uni accepts it.)
Last edited by moosec; 2 years ago
AlanaKate93
Rep:
Hi, I am applying to Stafford uni and my friend says those tests are still in place there so hopefully they will be a bit lenient. I was only 2 Marks off from getting a C in maths so it sucks!
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I am applying to Stafford uni and my friend says those tests are still in place there so hopefully they will be a bit lenient. I was only 2 Marks off from getting a C in maths so it sucks!
You need a C at gcse maths to get into Stafford, are you planning on retaking your maths or doing a functional skills course? It would be worthwhile speaking to their admissions team and seeing what they accept.

Numeracy skills are an essential part of being a safe nurse, you’ll have to pass a number of numeracy exams to progress through your course, whether or not they are involved in the selection process for a university.
moosec
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It's not up to the uni's to be lenient unfortunately, the requirement for Maths comes directly from the NMC:/

Stafford Uni's website says '112 UCAS points plus GCSE in Mathematics, English and Science at Grade C (4) or above' but goes on to say 'all applicants are individually assessed and a range of qualifications are accepted, so applicants are invited to enquire directly with the School', so it's worth checking if they accept alternative maths qualifications instead of GCSE.
AlanaKate93
Rep:
I was studying functional skills maths but unfortunately I lost my mum at the end of February this year so I was not in the right mind frame to return. I have emailed the uni just waiting on a response. I sat a mock FS maths exam and passed so hopefully going forward to an exam I will be ok. Thank you for everyone’s advice it has been a help, it was actually nursing my mum that inspired me to get into nursing. I’m 27 now and have been working in childcare for over ten years and wanted a career change. I want to give back to families that have gone through the same nightmare as me and my own family x
username1374571
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It is a requirement from the national nursing and midwifery council that you have Maths and English. When I was offered an interview they want to see those certificates before I got offered an interview. But I could check with the university you are planning on applying to.
AlanaKate93
Rep:
(Original post by IonaBubble)
It is a requirement from the national nursing and midwifery council that you have Maths and English. When I was offered an interview they want to see those certificates before I got offered an interview. But I could check with the university you are planning on applying to.
I understand it is a requirement, my question is that is it possible to study functional skills maths alongside a nursing course?
Niccat
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I am in exactly the same situation, after speaking with the nmc their requirement are that you have to be numeracy competent they don’t actually set a grade the universities do.I also can’t re sit my functional skills and was two marks off passing and currently have a conditional offer based on this, I have been waiting ten weeks for an update from the university to no avail, so I am assuming that I will not be starting in September
AlanaKate93
Rep:
(Original post by Niccat)
I am in exactly the same situation, after speaking with the nmc their requirement are that you have to be numeracy competent they don’t actually set a grade the universities do.I also can’t re sit my functional skills and was two marks off passing and currently have a conditional offer based on this, I have been waiting ten weeks for an update from the university to no avail, so I am assuming that I will not be starting in September
I’m hoping that it is good news for you and that you are given a place. Good luck
moosec
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I understand it is a requirement, my question is that is it possible to study functional skills maths alongside a nursing course?
Probably not alongside, you’d need to get it beforehand - you likely could apply to uni & receive an offer, but it would likely be a conditional offer upon achieving the uni’s academic entry requirements
moosec
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Niccat)
That sucks, uni’s are facing delays to communication because of covid but ten weeks is pushing it... have you followed up with them?:/
There’s still time before September yet & some places offer distance-learning Functional Skills, so there may still be hope!xx
username1374571
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
As it is an entry requirement I would suppose it would be up to the university to allow you on the course if you haven't got the Maths qualification at the start of the course. I would try the university you want to apply to. Good luck
Niccat
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moosec)
That sucks, uni’s are facing delays to communication because of covid but ten weeks is pushing it... have you followed up with them?:/
There’s still time before September yet & some places offer distance-learning Functional Skills, so there may still be hope!xx
Yes every week I am chasing them, it’s like no mans land wondering if I can’t start etc 🙄 there are delays with communication because they are all working from home, had one uni decline my application because of maths even though their website stipulates they will look at alternatives. Seems like it’s just a way of building up hope when actually I don’t think anyone without maths will be starting
Niccat
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Just a little update in case anyone was wondering, the university are doing their own maths competency tests for the uni I have chosen. I hope everyone else has heard something recently
K Roche
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Niccat have you already sat this test I am due to do it on Thursday and really nervous about it ?
Adultnursing202
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by K Roche)
Niccat have you already sat this test I am due to do it on Thursday and really nervous about it ?
Good luck. I am due to sit my functional skills maths Tuesday.. hoping I pass as I have been offered conditional offer for adult nursing, without this I cant start.
K Roche
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is there a reason they are not letting you sit a maths test set by themselves as an alternative ? Thanks good luck to u to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads