The Student Room Group

Would it be ideal to have GCSES first before doing an Access to HE course?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tabbs.x
This is completely incorrect.

I just completed an access to Health Science course and applied to uni to study paramedic science. All of them required GCSEs.

I promise you, you will get rejected from more or less every university without GCSE qualifications.

Virtually every university requires at least a C in GCSE English Lang and Maths. And access course alone will certainly not get you into uni. Many people in my class made this exact mistake and couldn’t even apply this year as they had no GCSEs.

People tend to either complete their GCSE studies along side the access course OR have done them before hand.

There were people on my course with max 2 GCSEs and they completed their course and have a place in Uni. An access course is used to help people get into uni who don’t have the necessary qualifications.
Original post by daintydaisy
There were people on my course with max 2 GCSEs and they completed their course and have a place in Uni. An access course is used to help people get into uni who don’t have the necessary qualifications.

What’s the name of the uni? And what are the conditions of their offer?

An access course is the EQUIVALENT of not having A levels. It is in not a substitute for GCSEs. What you’re saying literally makes no sense. No offence.

An access course alone will not get a person into uni. And if it did, somewhere in the conditional offer would state that they need GCSEs before entering.

Attachment not found

From the UCAS website. I rest my case
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tabbs.x
What’s the name of the uni? And what are the conditions of their offer?

An access course is the EQUIVALENT of not having A levels. It is in not a substitute for GCSEs. What you’re saying literally makes no sense. No offence.

An access course alone will not get a person into uni. And if it did, somewhere in the conditional offer would state that they need GCSEs before entering.

Attachment not found

From the UCAS website. I rest my case

In our access course we did national 5 subjects (equivalent of gcse), which means they were able to obtain what they needed within the course. They had conditional offers but only needed to achieve the grades from their access course as a whole. I’m speaking from the experience of my classmates but if you’re so sure you’re right then fine lol.

Quick Reply

Latest