The Student Room Group

Uni

I have been rejected from uni based on my weak GCSEs(8-7,7,7,6,6,6,A,5)
Will I have a chance at Oxford if I get all A*’s at a level and smash my MAT?
Also would being admitted in A and E because of anaemia during high school years be considered an extenuating circumstance?

Scroll to see replies

these are pretty low gcses for oxford so it's a big 'if' but not impossible
Original post by Jhhkosoos
Also would being admitted in A and E because of anaemia during high school years be considered an extenuating circumstance?

Don't know about Oxford but Ibz Mo was successful for Cambridge with weak GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
these are pretty low gcses for oxford so it's a big 'if' but not impossible

How do I increase my chances?I really don’t know what to do?
Smashing the MAT is never a certainty, but it carries much more weight than poor gcses.

Will you get extenuating circumstances?
-I suspect it would require a doctor/medical professional to say you were significantly impacted and it could well depend when you were hospitalised in relation to finishing your GCSEs.

If you are applying for maths?, A*A*A* whilst being very impressive is just a pretty typical Oxford STEM student so is unlikely to compensate for your GCSEs. Only 12% of maths applicants got offers, and only 6% of maths & stats applicants got offers so imo even if you smash MAT its still unlikely you'll get an offer. But the only way to find out is to apply.

--
@Oxford Mum
@Reality Check
thoughts?
How do I increase my chances?I really don’t know what to do?

grades, applicant test, personal statement and get your extenuating circumstances on your reference
Reply 7
On the rejection letter for Cambridge it said that they didn’t think I would achieve the min grades and if I did achieve the min grades, I was told to ring them.
I haven’t known anyone get into Oxford with the equivalent of just 1 a*, especially for something like maths. Cambridge, however is a different kettle of fish. If you had the choice between then two I would pick Cambridge, however there is no guarantee you would get in at either uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Oxford Mum
I haven’t known anyone get into Oxford with the equivalent of just 1 a*, especially for something like maths. Cambridge, however is a different kettle of fish. If you had the choice between then two I would pick Cambridge, however there is no guarantee you would get in at either uni.

But Oxford has the MAT, where I have a greater chance to prove my potential ,wouldn’t you agree?
But Oxford has the MAT, where I have a greater chance to prove my potential ,wouldn’t you agree?

Your GCSEs may be a limiting factor though, especially for Oxford.
Reply 11
Original post by AM.TSR
Your GCSEs may be a limiting factor though, especially for Oxford.

Surely if a levels have been already awarded, they shouldn’t carry as much importance.?

Which universities did you already apply for? The ones you got rejected from?
Reply 13
Original post by 5hyl33n
Which universities did you already apply for? The ones you got rejected from?

Durham(rejected)
St Andrews(rejected)
Imperial (rejected)
KCL( offer)
Cambridge (rejected)
I still think your GCSEs are potentially too low for Oxford. Yes, with Cambridge you have to do the step afterwards, but they will not mind your gcse results as much if you impress at interview and come up with spectacular a level grades.
Durham(rejected)
St Andrews(rejected)
Imperial (rejected)
KCL( offer)
Cambridge (rejected)

Well really you didn’t play your cards well. Those are all very high ranking universities. Maybe aim for something a bit less?
Reply 16
Original post by Oxford Mum
I still think your GCSEs are potentially too low for Oxford. Yes, with Cambridge you have to do the step afterwards, but they will not mind your gcse results as much if you impress at interview and come up with spectacular a level grades

Thank you for ur advice.
Original post by mnot
Will you get extenuating circumstances?
-I suspect it would require a doctor/medical professional to say you were significantly impacted and it could well depend when you were hospitalised in relation to finishing your GCSEs.

If you are applying for maths?, A*A*A* whilst being very impressive is just a pretty typical Oxford STEM student so is unlikely to compensate for your GCSEs. Only 12% of maths applicants got offers, and only 6% of maths & stats applicants got offers so imo even if you smash MAT its still unlikely you'll get an offer. But the only way to find out is to apply.

--
@Oxford Mum
@Reality Check
thoughts?

Thanks for the tag :smile:

Let's just note *contextually weak - most students do not consider 1 A*, 5 'A' and 3 'B' equivalent grades 'weak'. Just for other who might be reading this and rolling their eyes.

1. It's unlikely that you will get 'all A*' at A level. Most students don't - and certainly not from that GCSE starting point.
2. The EC you're trying to shape into something smacks of desperation. What do you mean 'admitted in A&E'? ECs are for sustained health problems or other issues which have meaningfully impacted on yuor long-term ability to study, or a critical, acute event such as a death or illness right in the middle of exam season. They're not meant to cover the odd difficulty and problem - otherwise everyone would be able to claim ECs.
Durham(rejected)
St Andrews(rejected)
Imperial (rejected)
KCL( offer)
Cambridge (rejected)

You were very badly advised to select these five universities - there's no 'spread here' for insurance. You were lucky to get the KCL offer.
Original post by Kueno Oscar
Can I get into kings college with weak gcse 1 grade below entry requirement basically I got a 5 in English a Lang and 5 in maths when they require a 6 . I smashed a level entry requirements and personal statement is on point . Would I be accepted ?

Make your own thread, please. Do not hijack someone else's. This is bad form. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply