Finance for Resident in Wales applying for Pre-registration MSc Nursing in England

Watch
FeelingStuck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I'm from England, but moved to Wales for my undergraduate which I completed in 2015. I've stayed in Wales since then, and am applying to do a pre-registration MSc Nursing, which I can apply for postgraduate student finance for...

Do I do this through Student Finance England as that is where I am from, or Student Finance Wales as I've now been living here for 9 years?

Many thanks!

EDIT for anyone else in this position: I have contacted NHS Wales bursaries, NHS England bursaries, SFW and SFE this morning about funding a pre-Registration MSc Nursing (Mental Health):
NHS Wales will only provide the funding for courses in Wales
NHS England will provide a £5000 per year grant if studying a relevant course in England
SFW are not set up to fund these courses because the funding all comes from NHS
SFE is the one to apply for for maintenance loan and it doesn't matter that I'm resident in Wales because I will be studying in England

Big weight off of my shoulders because honestly I felt like I was being sucked into the Earth after the first phonecall to SFW.

Applications open September for
Last edited by FeelingStuck; 1 year ago
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FeelingStuck)
Hello,

I'm from England, but moved to Wales for my undergraduate which I completed in 2015. I've stayed in Wales since then, and am applying to do a pre-registration MSc Nursing, which I can apply for postgraduate student finance for...

Do I do this through Student Finance England as that is where I am from, or Student Finance Wales as I've now been living here for 9 years?

Many thanks!
You apply for funding from Student Finance Wales as that's where you normally live.
Vam1970
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Many thanks!
I’m not sure about Wales but in uk you can get undergraduate funding for msc pre registrar nursing plus £5000 grant
Check out the funding clinic.
May be worth seeing if student finance wales or whatever it’s called does same.
Can you move if not?
FeelingStuck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Vam1970)
I’m not sure about Wales but in uk you can get undergraduate funding for msc pre registrar nursing plus £5000 grant
Check out the funding clinic.
May be worth seeing if student finance wales or whatever it’s called does same.
Can you move if not?
Hi Vam,

Thanks - I THINK it's the same with SFW (hope). Will be ringing them tomorrow
I think that with me having been living in Wales , I would have to live in England for a time again before applying through SFE. Frankly I'd rather apply through SFW purely because they have a scheme of some kind where you can pay back £500 of your student loan in one go, and they wipe a lot more off!

Looking to study in Nottingham though
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're studying in England then you're eligible for the £5k bursary, regardless of the fact that you live in wales. It's separate to the loans and student finance england and wales, you apply through the NHS here.
Vam1970
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Vam,

I think that with me having been living in Wales , I would have to live in England for a time again before applying through SFE. Frankly I'd rather apply through SFW purely because they have a scheme of some kind where you can pay back £500 of your student loan in one go, and they wipe a lot more off!

Looking
Thats good, yes worth calling and asking
Last edited by Vam1970; 1 year ago
Vam1970
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vam1970)
If you study in England don’t you have to have funding from England?
I would ask in the sfe forum
Hi Vam,

Looking to study in Nottingham though
Very often it is not worth paying extras off loans as they are rarely repaid.
however I suppose it may be worth it if huge chunks came off
I’m a mature student so I know I will never repay my loan so getting maximum amount possible 😊
rhodri1996
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Many thanks!

EDIT for anyone else in this position: I have contacted NHS Wales bursaries, NHS England bursaries, SFW and SFE this morning about funding a pre-Registration MSc Nursing (Mental Health):
NHS Wales will only provide the funding for courses in Wales
NHS England will provide a £5000 per year grant if studying a relevant course in England
SFW are not set up to fund these courses because the funding all comes from NHS
SFE is the one to apply for for maintenance loan and it doesn't matter that I'm resident in Wales because I will be studying in England

Big weight off of my shoulders because honestly I felt like I was being sucked into the Earth after the first phonecall to SFW.

Applications open September for
I am in a similar situation i am a welsh resident who is about to study in England, just to clarify you are still able to apply for funding with SFE ?
Pofella99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I am in the same position ... I live in Wales I got 4 years of undergraduate loan instead of 3 as I had to repeat one year and now I want to apply for MSc Physiotherapy ( Pre-registration) and I would like to know how can I apply for student finance England and not wales ? Also I want to do my course in England . Many thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (312)
84.1%
No (59)
15.9%

Watched Threads