The Student Room Group

Help

Swapped names for confidentiality

My best friend Rachel and I have been super close for 15 years. Last year she got into her first ever relationship, with Adam, he changed her so positively, she no longer drank to excess, she began exercising, she was truly happy and I was so happy for her. Adam moved to the States when uni finished, Rachel moved back home in England. They tried to make it work, but Rachel ended up dumping Adam a few months later because the distance was hard. Because I had met Adam, multiple times, I messaged him telling him I heard the news and that I was there if he needed to talk to someone. I informed Rachel at the time of me contacting him and she was fine with it. A week later, his grandmother died. He was in such bad shape he hadn’t eaten, and was beginning to scare me in that he was taking medications to excess in order to sleep. For three weeks I comforted him by sharing articles for dealing with grief, listening to him go on about missing Rachel, and advising him on how to try and successfully become friends with her after the break up. We had a phone call of 15 minutes the day he found out his grandmother passed, and he called me in the middle of a night out. In quarantine, it has been hard, and my housemate was stressful. I had made a plan with Adam to have a call later in the week to catch up. This call never happened. After those three weeks I didn’t respond to his messages, I felt there was no need, I also had a lot of university work and never paid attention to my phone. (Yes, I know this is rude, but I am unable to apologise as of yet for this behaviour) -> Nearly 3 months have passed of me not talking to him.
Recently, through the #blm movement I shared a story quote Adam had posted on my own insta story, because it was relevant. A mutual friend of Rachel and I’s- Daniel, let’s say, asked how Adam was having seen the story post. I responded saying he’d seemed to be good, and that there had been a catch up call to be planned, me obviously intending to talk and apologise for blanking this fellow for three months and to make sure he was okay. I still haven’t directly contacted Adam.

Suddenly, Rachel texts me asking ‘why are you trying to have a video call with my ex??? And don’t even try lying to me, I’ve asked him’
In the argument I was accused of lying when I genuinely had not spoken to Adam in months. It was as if she sought to think the worst of me straight away without any wavering. And she was angry that I even spoke to her ex for a prolonged period of time. I expressed how I empathised with him (she dumped him quite horribly but I never said anything about it as it was her relationship and her problem).
She understood that I contacted him to see if he was okay, and every message or conversation in those three weeks was initiated by him. However my actions dictated a complete betrayal of her trust. I apologised to her for hurting her so, again expressing that what I had done was a good thing and that I never meant to harm her.
The next day after this fight I’d woken up to find she had unfriended me and unfollowed me on all social media. When I confronted her about it saying ‘you’re ending this friendship, just like that’, she said, ‘Yes, LouDLou, just like that’ and called me a f***ing liar. I asked her what I had done and she said ‘you know exactly what you did’ before blocking me. I have no idea what it is I have done wrong.
In anger I messaged her telling her that she didn’t know what it was like to be dumped and the reason I contacted him was through empathy, which she knew about. I explained that I’d always be there for her even if she hated me. And in a plight of anger and confusion I stated she needed to take responsibility for her actions and the consequences of her breakup.(I apologised for this and explained again that she didn’t know how painful it was to hear you weren’t wanted anymore).
I explained how I’ve had friends leave before due to distance or girlfriends who didn’t like their boyfriends having a female friend, and explained how much it hurt but I understood and still keep contact with them because they told me why but said they still cared and wanted me in their lives. Only two people in my life have chosen to leave me, and those two people I still talk to every now and then.
In which Rachel’s response was to say that they’d lied and that they’d also had enough of my bs and lying (I don’t lie that much and especially never to Rachel, i say white lives like telling my parents I’m having a sleepover and movie night rather than going clubbing- then go clubbing). She hit me where it hurt. She hit me in the way that I even had my own birth mother leave me (I’m adopted) and she said there was a reason before telling me to eff off.
There is so much more that happened but this is the gist. I am so blindsided and hurt. So confused. Please tell me if what I did was bad. There were no romantic intentions whatsoever, I’m not that type of woman. I just genuinely wanted to make sure this young man was okay and wouldn’t do something stupid.
I have discussed this with family and friends and there are so many possibilities as to why my supposed friend was this angry.
Reply 1
didn't you already post this
You already posted this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending