student144
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
work done is energy transfer but it's also the energy transfer that allows a force to move an object by a distance
so if I apply a force on a spring how is work done if the spring isn't moving a distance (it changes shape)
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by student144)
work done is energy transfer but it's also the energy transfer that allows a force to move an object by a distance
so if I apply a force on a spring how is work done if the spring isn't moving a distance (it changes shape)
The direction of the force is parallel to the direction of the displacement in work done calculations.

If you apply a force to a spring and it changes shape without any displacement parallel to the force I don't see why it wasn't already in the final shape to start with tbh. Have you got any examples?
M_ichael
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As it's energy transferred, you transfer energy from the chemical energy of your hand to the elastic potential energy store of the spring, causing it to expand.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student144)
I think the fundamental issue is in regards to the definition of work.
As far as I know that there are at least two definitions of work. One of them is restricted to particle model or rigid objects. I think you are given this definition based on “the energy transfer that allows a force to move an object by a distance” and should not be applied to objects such as spring which is a deformable object.

The more general definition of work can be applied to the spring which can be stated as follow:
Qualitative version
Work is done when a force moves its point of application along the direction of its line of action.

Quantitative version
The work W done on a system by an agent exerting a constant force on the system is the product of the magnitude F of the force, the magnitude Δs of the displacement of the point of application of the force, and cos θ, where θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors:
W = F Δs cos θ
The displacement in this definition of work is that of the point of application of the force NOT the displacement of the object.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise