Can I cancel accommodation application if I change my firm uni?

Watch
Admera
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am stuck between 3 unis, one being notitngham and their accommodation is first come first serve, I've been struggling to decide for months and I just can't leave it any longer because of accommodation.

Can I firm say Nottingham and apply for accommodation to secure it, then if I change my mind and decide to change uni (preferably in the 14 day cooling off period) would that be okay? Would I be able to get out of the accommodation, i'm assuming I wouldn't be contractually bound by this point since some people who would've applied for accommodation won't end up getting the grades.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Admera)
I am stuck between 3 unis, one being notitngham and their accommodation is first come first serve, I've been struggling to decide for months and I just can't leave it any longer because of accommodation.

Can I firm say Nottingham and apply for accommodation to secure it, then if I change my mind and decide to change uni (preferably in the 14 day cooling off period) would that be okay? Would I be able to get out of the accommodation, i'm assuming I wouldn't be contractually bound by this point since some people who would've applied for accommodation won't end up getting the grades.
Universities are quite accommodating - there are always more folk wanting student accommodation than places available so the university will not retain your deposit or anything silly like that.

It's a two-way street so be aware that if you decide not to go to Nottingham (which is a super Uni by the way) and choose to go to University XXX instead, you may not be able to secure any accommodation in Univesity XXX and be forced to look for accommodation by yourself. That is not a big deal since there are estate agents set up just for students. If you have accepted a place at University XXX and cannot secure university student accommodation then go to the town/ city for a week or so and register with the student accommodation estate agents and you will find suitable accommodation that way. Some of the flats you can get now are amazing - free wifi, laundry room, games room plus private shower and toilet. No need to move to a grotty flat with a bunch of people you don't know.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Admera)

That would be fine, they are surely not asking you to pay a deposit at this early stage?
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
That would be fine, they are surely not asking you to pay a deposit at this early stage?
Hi, most universities have more requests for accommodation than they actually have places so if the student secures a spot in university-owned accommodation then I doubt they will ask for a deposit (too much hassle). If the university is partnering with private accommodation providers then they will ask for a deposit and will not return the deposit so its best to read the small print and ensure you are securing a place in university-owned accommodation rather than privately owned but approved accommodation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads