NatashaW26
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone!I'm taking a gap year this year as I want to go to University the following year but due to the amount of college coursework, I haven't been able to go on any open days or even think about which course I want to study! I'm torn between two degrees. I love acting with a passion and have found some conservatoires and universities I really like the sound of! On the other hand, I love Spanish and Spanish has always been my backup plan incase I never make it into the acting industry. I've found a joint degree which combines Theatre and Spanish, but it seems that they focus a lot more on theory than practical (at college, I studied drama and it was very theory based). Personally, I would prefer a degree that is more practical based. I will attend all open days and give the universities a chance, but has anyone studied BA Theatre, BA Acting or Drama and modern languages combined, and if what was it like ? If anyone at all has any advice, I would be very grateful!
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi NatashaW26
Have you checked out Lancaster for a drama, theatre and performance and Spanish combined degree ? The information link is here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...-ba-hons-wr44/
I totally understand where you are coming from I think studying two degrees could be more beneficial to you ! I’m a single honours theatre student at Lancaster so I can’t speak about the Spanish part but I can share my experiences of theatre course ! The course course is weighted slightly more theory to practical but we still do some practical ! And then I found in my second and third year you can choose some optional modules so you could chose a more practical one if they are available that year. So there is some flexibility in the degree ive found ! That being said I’m not sure how many optional modules you get if you do a combined degree. However I have found the theory really good because it complements and makes our practical work better ! We do perform in the Nuffield theatre on campus where famous companies perform so we do have opportunities to perform. However, it’s not an acting degree, it’s everything to do with theatre ! I suggest you speak to our student ambassadors on our uni buddy service to ask about student life and also the Spanish side of things ! This is the link https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Hope this helps
Student ambassador for theatre at Lancaster Uni
NatashaW26
Rep:
?
Hi thanks for your advice!
Another factor is that I don't really want to live far from my family, as I am really close with them and although I've researched Lancaster Uni, unfortunately the distance is just too far away (4 - 5 hours away from where I live). However, hearing about your experience has really helped me to gather what the Theatre degree is like in general. So far, I am considering Bournemouth Arts University, Bristol Old Vic and Guilford School of acting if I decide on taking a Acting degree or Bristol University or London Holloway for the Spanish and Theatre combined. One of my plans is to become a Drama teacher and it's been quite confusing because some of my old teachers said they went to Drama school and gained a acting degree, but when I looked online it said that you would need a Theatre or Drama degree to teach Drama.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No worries ! Yeah I understand what you mean ! I’m also considering teaching drama ! I took an optional schools placement module in which I went on placement at a secondary school ! So maybe look for if your university offers modules like this 😊
Student ambasssdor Holly at Lancaster Uni
NatashaW26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
No worries ! Yeah I understand what you mean ! I’m also considering teaching drama ! I took an optional schools placement module in which I went on placement at a secondary school ! So maybe look for if your university offers modules like this 😊
Student ambasssdor Holly at Lancaster Uni
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.06%
I'm not sure (59)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (389)
29.4%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.8%
I'm not a current university student (652)
49.28%

Watched Threads