The Student Room Group

Access course & UCAS points

So, I am doing a HE access course in social work and would like to apply for a different uni via UCAS extra.

The grade requirements for the uni state that I will need 112 UCAS points.
Ive never understood how this points system works and its even harder now because I will be getting predicted grades for the access course due to the pandemic.

I have currently completed 8 assignments but have only received 6 grades back currently. I have achieved 4 distinctions and 2 merits. Im not sure how I would go about transferring these into the UCAS tariff
please help! :frown:
Original post by Lau.ryn
So, I am doing a HE access course in social work and would like to apply for a different uni via UCAS extra.

The grade requirements for the uni state that I will need 112 UCAS points.
Ive never understood how this points system works and its even harder now because I will be getting predicted grades for the access course due to the pandemic.

I have currently completed 8 assignments but have only received 6 grades back currently. I have achieved 4 distinctions and 2 merits. Im not sure how I would go about transferring these into the UCAS tariff
please help! :frown:

A uni will state their Access requirements in terms of Distinctions and Merits not points - points relates to A level grades. Access courses give you a total of 60 credits and it looks like you are currently achieving mainly Distinctions.

As an example, Middlesex uni say on their website that "Successful completion of this course requires students to gain 60 credits, with 45 credits at Level 3 and 15 credits at Level 2. For some programmes of study Middlesex will require applicants to gain Merit or Distinction grades in a number of units.If your Access to HE course did not include GCSE equivalencies in English and/or Maths, then you will also be required to submit evidence of your GCSE English and Maths grades at Grade C or higher. We can also accept Key skills or Functional skills at level 2 instead of GCSEs". For their social work degree, Middlesex uni say they want 120 UCAS points which equates to BBB at A level or for Access they want an "overall pass: must include 45 credits at level 3, of which 15 must be at Distinction and 30 credits at Merit or higher"

I'm not quite sure how your 8 assignments fits into 60 credits, but maybe someone else can answer that, or you could check with your own college. If in doubt about whether you are are likely to meet their entry requirments, you can also email uni Admissions directly for advice, they are always happy to help.
Original post by harrysbar
A uni will state their Access requirements in terms of Distinctions and Merits not points - points relates to A level grades. Access courses give you a total of 60 credits and it looks like you are currently achieving mainly Distinctions.

As an example, Middlesex uni say on their website that "Successful completion of this course requires students to gain 60 credits, with 45 credits at Level 3 and 15 credits at Level 2. For some programmes of study Middlesex will require applicants to gain Merit or Distinction grades in a number of units.If your Access to HE course did not include GCSE equivalencies in English and/or Maths, then you will also be required to submit evidence of your GCSE English and Maths grades at Grade C or higher. We can also accept Key skills or Functional skills at level 2 instead of GCSEs". For their social work degree, Middlesex uni say they want 120 UCAS points which equates to BBB at A level or for Access they want an "overall pass: must include 45 credits at level 3, of which 15 must be at Distinction and 30 credits at Merit or higher"

I'm not quite sure how your 8 assignments fits into 60 credits, but maybe someone else can answer that, or you could check with your own college. If in doubt about whether you are are likely to meet their entry requirments, you can also email uni Admissions directly for advice, they are always happy to help.

Here is a link you can use to calculate your ucas points for access courses. However it seems your distinctions and credits attract more than 1 point and maybe your college can advise you on that as there has to be 45 in total not 8. Based on your averages 30 Distinctions and 15 credits gives you 128 ucas points.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
Original post by swanseajack1
Here is a link you can use to calculate your ucas points for access courses. However it seems your distinctions and credits attract more than 1 point and maybe your college can advise you on that as there has to be 45 in total not 8. Based on your averages 30 Distinctions and 15 credits gives you 128 ucas points.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

I did try to work it out but it got too confusing! Hopefully OPs college or the uni will be able to provide more reassurance but it certainly looks like they are doing well on their Access course
I have found this that might help but your college is likely to know how the ucas points works in your case.

The Access to HE Diploma has a unitised structure.

All Diplomas comprise a number of units of 3, 6 or 9 credits which in all cases provide a common total of 60 credits.

45 credits must come from graded Level 3 units concerned with academic subject content.

15 credits come from ungraded Level 3 or Level 2 units.

Access to HE Diplomas no longer include GCSE equivalent units (previously these had been available in English, maths, and science, as part of the qualification). Where a GCSE is studied at the same time as an Access to HE Diploma, confirmation of academic achievement in each course may occur at separate times. @PQ Do you know how Distinctions and Credits relate to ucas points and how many points each distinction gets.
(edited 3 years ago)
Most universities don’t use tariff point equivalencies for Access applications (and there’s no points for individual credits only for the overall award).
OP needs to just talk to the university directly to find out what their requirements are for access diploma students (and speak to their college about their likely overall grades due for award in August)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending