why is cyclohexane used in chemical displacement reactions of halogens?

Watch this thread
CJ_bangtan
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know that you use it so that you can see the halogen in the test tube clearly but how does it do this?
Kenn Scott
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CJ_bangtan)
I know that you use it so that you can see the halogen in the test tube clearly but how does it do this?
Hello, it is used because halogens are very soluble in it.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
To extend on Kenn Scott's answer:

Halogens are poorly soluble in water, the colour isn't very intense and the colours of Br2(aq) and I2(aq) can be rather similar - orange and brown are effectively just shades of each other: Br2(aq) with a high conc can be darker than I2(aq) with a low conc.

So... adding a non-polar solvent allows the halogens to dissolve fully, which makes them darker and avoids the Br2/I2 problem as the I2 will appear purple, so you won't get confused with Br2.
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
To extend the above two answers.

Iodine (and the other halogens) being non-polar do not dissolve in water, but they do react with water a little to set up an equilibrium between the molecular species and the reaction products:

I2 + H2O <==> HI + HOI

This is a disproportionation reaction and HI, being a strong acid, dissociates into hydrogen ions and iodide ions. These iodide ions can interact with molecular iodine forming the orange/red species triiodide ion, I3-.

So aqueous iodine actually does not show the colour of iodine, rather the colour of the triiodide ion. But when it is dissolved in a non-polar solvent you get separation of the iodine molecules and the purple colour of the iodine molecules, the same as in the vapour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (137)
66.18%
No (46)
22.22%
I didn't use it to prepare (24)
11.59%

Watched Threads